1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grubs Grubs Grubs!!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Slant7, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Slant7

Slant7 LawnSite Member

I was having a good year when all the sudden the lawn started dying. When I stubbed my foot in the grass and it pulled up like a bad hair piece, I noticed about 5 or 6 grubs in a very small space. I started to look around and saw the grass starting to wilt in several places so I simply pulled on the grass and it lifted with ease. Come to find out I have Grubs bad, from the Japanese Beetle I believe. I have ordered some Grub away. I put down some Diazanon a week ago. But they are still not dead. Any suggestion on this problem? I have read through the Scott's Lawn book but It does not really give a solution. I would hate to loose the whole lawn to these little pest.

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

diazonon wont do it. dilox will. then, wait a couple weeks to see how much of the lawn recovers, then (have a couple of big barrels ready) and powerseed
  3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

you know.......this is the first thread ive read regarding grubs this year. i dont know if its becasue its been so wet and cold here in the northeast this summer or what....but i havent seen one lawn killed or even been infected by grubs this year.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Diazonon has always worked for me. I would just spot treat it, since you're going to have to go back and do it again, regardless if you use Diazonon or Dialox. There are still plenty more to hatch, it's early, but they work fast! I used Merit in some of my props that were badly infested last year,- and so far - not grub 1. The stuff is just way pricey, though. As far as the Diazonon not working yet; Has it been watered in? It takes a week or so to astually get results fro Diazonon, as opposed to Dialox or Mach II.
  6. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Dylox is the on the only chemical that will actualy penetrate thatch

If you are using diazinon the water needed would dilute it to nothing.

That is presuming there is thatch

Dylox will also give you a longer residual window than Diazinon.

Merit had to be applied 3 - 4 weeks before any occurence for control
  7. Slant7

Slant7 LawnSite Member

I have dethatched the grass layer at the beginning of the year and at the end of the year. I also core aerated at the beginning of the year, back in May.

Slant 7
  8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I've been wanting to ask this question. Grubs seem to be a real problem in drier, warmer seasons. I wonder if, because of all the water and cooler temps, the grubs just can't get a hold in the lawn? All the water drowns the larvae?
  9. GLAN

GLAN Banned

I don't know what "Grab Away" is

I do know that Dylox will work fantastic for your problem. Follow the label at the higher rate.
  10. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Mtd. From my understanding the beatles/june or asian like to nest in a lush damp yard. (easy to dig) If we have a dry year they move to an irrigated spot. This would concentrate them on the damper locations and cause more of a problem. In a damp year they could nest anywhere therefore not concentrating and causing less damage.