Grubs in beds

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by n-green, Jun 4, 2008.

1. n-green

n-green LawnSite Senior Member

I have a first year customer who asked if I included beds when I do grub control. I explained that I have never seen grub concentrations high enough in beds to do any damage. He got excited and said last provider blamed the death of three shrubs on grubs. Anybody?

2. theturfboss

theturfboss LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

There are usually always grubs in beds. Being from Indiana, I always give weight to what Purdue says. They say that grubs in beds are generally not cause for alarm. Although they do feed on the roots, shrubs have a far more extensive root system than grass, which can handle the root feeding, and they are usually not a problem.

3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Boy that last provider was blowing so serious smoke!!!! I've been at this game for 30 years. I have yet to dig up a dead shrub and find that grubs gnawed off the root system enough to kill it.

4. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

That would be something i would like to see! You are not likely to set this clients' head straight after the previous service provider sold him that line of smack. Just say no.

5. n-green

n-green LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys! I just wanted some reassurance.

6. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

all so you need a 3a to treat the grubs in the beds. just fyi