grubs in flower beds

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by broske, Mar 28, 2006.

1. broske

broske LawnSite Member

I noticed today while doing alittle scouting that there were alot of grubs a good 10-15 in a square foot.I would like to treat the area but I'm not sure if I should treat now or wait them out for mid summer and use merit.

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

they wont do any damage now, wait until mid June and use merit.

3. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

If you want to do something now, Sevin should work. No use in waiting for the next generation if you can get some control now.

4. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

That makes no sense. For starters, spring grubs do very little if any damage to turf let alone plants in beds, they eat very little before morphing into beetles. Second, anything you do now will have no effect on weather or not you get grubs later in the year, you could kill all of them on your property and still have beetles fly in this summer and lay eggs. And third, sevin is not a good choice for grub control, use Dylox if you feel the need to do anything.

5. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

The grubs eventually become beetles, and beetles damage plants by feeding. They are capable of completely stripping an ornamental plant. The grubs are in the beds because they're near the food source. If you don't care about the appearance of the ornamentals, let them go. If you do care about the appearance, kill them now.