Grubs in my home-made compost... HELP!

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by fishinpa, Oct 30, 2006.

1. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

Guy, I didn't know where to post this so I'm hoping this is the forum that can help me out.

I make my compost each year by shredding my leaves, adding lime and coffee grounds in layers, here & there (in layers) & flip it a few times the next year. Then I use it around the yard the following year.

I missed a "flip" earlier this season and was getting it done now in preparation for the new piles of leaves... AND I FIND GRUBS EVERYWHERE throughout the upper layers!

What do I do? I'm pulling out as many as I can, but I want to be sure I don't intentionally toss them throughout my lawn in the spring after I aerate.

HELP! Do I need to throw last years entire pile out? It's about 1.5 to 2 cubic yards worth and I'd hate to waste it.

2. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

hit it with some diazinon :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :cool2:

oh wait this is the organic section :hammerhead:

you did not get it hot enough.....better find some chicken or hog waste and mix it on in and wait

or you could set the pile alight and then mix the ash back into a new mix

or you could scoop it all into clear or black plastic bags and seal them and set them in the sun a few days to kill the grubs

3. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

74 people have looked at this and I only have one reply? PLEASE HELP!

4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

You have two choices.
    One. catch the grubs and go fishing. or
    two, turn up the heat. Mix in a bunch of green waste or manure, or add some nitrogen and turn the pile. The heat will kill the grubs.
    Its not uncommon to find grubs in a negelected compost pile, they are just doing their job of helping eat up the organic material and turning it into usable compost. Any grubs you throw out onto your lawn will probably die of exposure.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Search this forum for grubs......think you need some nematodes. You can use the composite then spray for them in the summer.

6. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Grubs there is nothing no worse for turf they took my yard in september i caught em early,and killed most of them with dylox.

7. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

diesel will definetly kill them.

8. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

one last one....if you have a pressure washer that will make steam you can steam them to death :laugh: :cool2: :walking:

9. Gators_Aerator

Gators_Aerator LawnSite Member

Ok, enough of the useless comments. I am sure the EPA would love the use of diesel fuel, unless of course you are using bio-diesel maybe b80. That would be safer for the environment.

Turn up the heat as mentioned with more green. There are all sorts of things that move into a compost pile. The limited number of grubs should not affect anything. Just treat for them with Milky Spore or another nematode.

Keep turning until it is done to your satisfaction.

10. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

spoil sport :)