Grubs in the Dallas/DFW area

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Dec 21, 2003.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I worked for Chemlawn for two summers while I was in Oklahoma (back in my college days). First summer in Enid, OK, the next summer in OKC. I never saw grub damage, and I was on a lot of lawns. The manager of the Enid branch told me that in 10 years he had only seen grub damage a hand full of times.

I started my LCO in the DFW area in January of 2003 and decided not to pro-actively push grub control. But out of the 34 residential lawns I maintain, I think I saw grub damage on two. I wasn't positive it was grubs. The turf could not be rolled back like a carpet, but it was dying and I found a pretty high rate of grubs when I dug out some of the ground with a shovel. I left notes with the customers and they never ordered the treatment.

Here's my question: Is grub damage in the DFW area very common? What is the best way to prevent grubs before they do damage? Merit? Mach III? Other?

Thanks,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello DFW,
    Here in new jersey I have used Both Merit and Mach II With much
    success. In Morris County I like to use Merit Because it prevents most species of White Grub Complex From egg hatch survival as well as supress chinch bugs (which are a problem here). In Hunterdon County I like Mach II for White Grub Complex Because it works well at the new 2lb. Active Ingredient per Acre Rate and it controls sod webworm larva ( they are bad here). I would guess that merit may be a good choice for you because of the potential for chinch bug damage there. Also merit is labled for prevention of mole cricket nymph damage (timing of application critical). You should go to your county cooperative extension agent fo find out more about what pests you are dealing with as well as proper timing of applications.

I like to apply the merit or mach II 4 weeks before the egg laying period of the japanese beetle.

Talk to your county agent,
    Pete D.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

DFW,
    I have been in the lawn maint. business for 15 years here in the DFW area. Grub damage can be pretty common in some years. It seems that lawns do pretty good for a few years, with no grug problems. Then, they will move in and destroy a bunch of lawns for about one or two seasons. I believe I have read that weather conditions have a lot to do with how bad grubs are in any given year.
    To play it safe, I recommend to my customers, that we go ahead and treat most years. If I do not see many June Bugs, then I may skip treating that year. June Bugs are one phase of a grub worm's life cycle. If you see a lot of them in June and July, you can figure on a lot of grubs in Aug. and Sept. It really is a good indicator.:)

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Grubs Vs Chinch Bugs

Wet Years will exacerbate grubs problems while drowning Chinch Bugs.

Dry Years will exacerbate Chinch Bugs while not enhancing Grubs.

Look for Grubs just above the high water mark of drainage areas where the ground stays wet but not soaked. Chinch bugs will be in the dry spots or well drained areas of the yard. I am not going into a long explanation about these Insects but Mole crickets are not a big threat to St Augustine turf. Army worm, Sod Web Worm and Bill bugs are.

Everything is everywhere But the environment selects. By know the Life cycles of these insects you can predict there need for control and save money with Best Management Practices.