1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grubs: remove turf, treat for grubs, resod

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Sep 17, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

This is the advice several homeowners got when they visited their local "Earl May" (seed & nursery) garden center recently. Earl May is a large chain of garden centers in the Midwest -- They are among the Nation's top ten garden center chains.

Today I talked to the third customer who recently stripped off their turf, applied insecticide to bare dirt, and put down new sod, cuz Earl May told them so. Of course Earl May sold them the sod and the grub killer. I told the lady we could have treated & the turf would have recovered......She said, "I wondered about that".

Any of you guys hear bad advice from garden centers just so they can sell their products?

p.s. Earl May also recommends to kill off lawns with glyphosate that have creeping Charlie, then reseed with Earl May's "premium seed".:laugh:

rscvp -- thanks
  2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Funny how some people will fallow those suggestions, then others won't even raise the mower height or water during a drought if you ask them to!

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I'm sure they also sell those "mole bomb" poison gas firecracker things too....:confused: Every time I look at what some of those Farm feed/home & garden stores sell I have to laugh... Usually the "homeopathic" type cures cost way more than having a professional treatment done, and oh yeah- it doesn't work! Then I feel embarrassed that some of my fellow citizens actually sell that crap & others are stupid enough to buy it.:hammerhead:
  4. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Happens all of the time - the last incident occurring at a box store while I was there. I'm in the nursery department to pick up several large trash cans and I overhear an employee telling a customer to treat the weeds in their yard with a weed/feed containing 2,4-D - the turf is St Augustine. The label clearly states not to do so and the customer asked about this and the adult ****** stated it was okay to use. The customer than asks about a liquid control product and the same employee tries to sell him MSMA - again highly phytotoxic to St Augustine.
    I politely interrupted and asked to speak to the employee away from the customer as I didn't want to embarrass the lad in front of the customer.
    The kid blew me off and was quite rude so I then bluntly handed my business card to the customer and said after you kill your yard with these agents give me a call.
  5. americanlawn

from midwest

Yep -- renting a sod cutter to remove their lawn doesn'r make sense. Then applying grub killer on bare dirt is another question I have. Too bad these customers (all were new customers this year) did not contact their lawn service (us) in the first place.??????
  6. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

We had a situation recently where the bluegrass lawn was totally dead due mostly to drought. The lawn was extemly thatchy and was like carpet. Then the grubs came and allowed the turf to be pulled up like carpet. Why would someone seed into this layer? We removed the turf, treated with Dylox, seeded, and strawed. Becuase the Dylox doesnt mention seed on the label I called Bayer and layed out our strategy for fixing the problem. They said Dylox on bare dirt is fine and seeding right away is fine. In most cases of grubs, sod removal is crazy but in this case I dont see why you would seed into this 1" layer of thatchy capet.
  7. americanlawn

from midwest

txgrassguy.........That was good! gq944........Ditto. With a one inch thatch layer, a sod cutter is in order - then start over with a decent lawn.

I just hope these chain stores keep selling their cheapo lawn spreaders, so we will have a constant supply of new customers. LOL