Grubs! with a twist...

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Dupesy, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Dupesy

Dupesy LawnSite Member

Got a call the middle of the week from a new customer saying his lawn is dead, and wants it reseeded/whatever it needs. OK. I look at it, and it's definitely dead due to grubs. Now, I know I can rototill it, reseed it, and fertilize it. It's seems to be pretty decent soil, although I haven't had it tested yet. When it comes to the grub control we run into an issue. From what I've read here (yes, the search feature works!) the best time to treat for grubs is early summer. The problem with that is this community always has a water ban, and he will not be able to water the lawn much past mid to late May. I'm really concerned that I could charge him a decent sum of money, and still have the major grub issue because he can't effectively treat it. I cannot apply the fert/insecticide myself, so that will be subbed out. What are the thoughts of the professionals here?

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

What the heck he's gonna have a dead lawn by June anyway!I suggest removal of the lawn and installation of a low-water Zeriscape.Hope I spelled that right.

3. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

It is likely that if you can tell the lawn was killed by grubs, a curative application of grub control (Dylox) can be applied. Those maturing grubs will be very close to the surface in a couple weeks, as soon as the ground heats up a little. Right now in our area they can be as close as 2" under the surface.

The best time for a preventative application of grub control, Merit, would be late spring but that is mostly because that is when the grass shoots start slowing down but the root growth speeds up.

If you would like me to take a look at it Give me a call or e-mail at sodking@comcast.net

I am the president of Green Grass Lawn Care and we are fully licensed pesticide applicators serving the greater seacoast of NH.

Erik Sweetser

4. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

Put down Merit it will kill the Grubs

5. SodKing

Though Merit has some curative properties and has shown minor dermal absorption by grubs, it would not be a product of choice for a curative application. Merit is at its most effective when injested by the grubs or other targeted insects.

6. Xterminator

I was thinking Merit has systemic capabilities so it would kill the grubs when feeding

7. Dupesy

Dupesy LawnSite Member

thanks folks. Am I wrong thinking I can till it, and reseed, then have someone (like SodKing) come in and fertilize and kill them dang nasty grubs when necessary? I've done lawns before, but not with the grub and water issue.

SodKing, I'll give you a call the beginning of the week. I would like to have an answer to this guy by Wednesday/Thursday.

8. SodKing

Yes that is true but it takes time for merit to be absorbed by the grass plants and translocate throughout the plant and then a grub has to eat it. For quick control Dylox would control the grubs within a couple days and they absorbe it dermally.

9. Xterminator

I agree except I have never tried it. I will now

10. SodKing

I generally prefer my landscapers to have no contact with the soil, and applied product, after that application. When you work the soil you will kick up dust and product residue so I prefer to have all tilling, raking, and seeding done prior to the application.