Grubs won't Die!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MacPhersonlawn, May 4, 2005.

1. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

I'm having a real problem with grubs in this one lawn. The home owner treated the lawn last fall, I have done it twice this spring (Grubex and Grubstop) and the home owner also did it once. They are still there. Any suggestions?

2. Gators_Aerator

Gators_Aerator LawnSite Member

Milky spore - it is not cheap, but it will do the job.

3. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Try dylox or seven, if you are licensed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. lawnboy33

lawnboy33 LawnSite Member

My guess is that they are not active. No matter what you put down if they are not feeding on anything they won't die. Are they doing any damage? You will find grubs in every yard its just the ones that are active you have to worry about. You could try Dylox waterd in real well. This would be the most potent for grubs but I wouldn't worry about them if they are not doing any damage... "Don't treat lawns if you don't know what you are doing"

5. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

I have my applicators lic and this is usually a routine application. Minimal damage from the grubs but the skunks are destroying the yard. Just curious if others were having a similar problem.

6. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

Hey mac,

Like the others said dylox is your best bet at this point.
    But tell your customer there unfortunately are no guarantees when you try to control grubs this late in the game.

Be sure to get a merit app done on time.
    Merit will also suppress chinchebugs.

7. Duramax99

Duramax99 LawnSite Member

Try Nematodes

8. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

What are you talking about?? ;)

9. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Dylox is your only hope. I know the Grubex will not work. The active ingredient in GrubEx, like Merit and Mach 2 only works on grubs in the first instar. Thats the stage right after they hatch. It needs to be put down before grubs hatch. In Wisconsin that means by mid-June. I am not familar with Grubstop. These products give 90% plus control but must be applied before grubs hatch. They also have 8-10 week residual, so they have a big window of application. Since Diazinon and Dursban are not on the market, that leaves Dylox. Dylox works better if grubs are small. You may need several applications and it needs to be watered into the soil. Several years ago I treated a severe infestation of grubs. I treated the lawn (4 acres) three times and still did not get them all. Here also it was the skunks, racoons, and turkeys doing the damage.

10. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

You also have to water Dylox in within 24 hours or it will photodegrade and become ineffective.