Grubs

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Drivefaster35, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Hey what do you midwestern guys do for people that have grub problems in the lawn already and you need to kill them out ASAP and keep them out how often do u apply and at what rate etc..:drinkup:

2. Xterminator

Xterminator LawnSite Senior Member

I use Round up

3. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

RoundUp? What makes you answer a serious question like that?

I'm no grub expert, but if you have a grub problem, Merit does pretty well, but it's best applied in July or so, when the new grubs are most vulnerable. But if you've got a problem now, I'd go ahead and use it now. It'll still help. Then use it again in July.

4. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

:dizzy: sorry, both previous answers are wrong. To kill grubs now, you need Dylox. To prevent them this fall and next spring-Merit or Mach II.

5. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto Mikesturf. Dylox now if it's bad enough for a "rescue" treatment AND Merit (grub-ex) in June. Merit WON'T work now. It has to be applied around egg hatch. The grubs are too mature now for it to work. I might spot treat the worst areas with Dylox or skip it like I said if you can wait until June. The Merit will give the customer the best bang for their buck. Also remember both treatments HAVE to be watered in to be effective. Good luck, Marc

6. mruth77

mruth77 LawnSite Member

Can the average homeowner purchase Dylox and Merit

7. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Just sent out by UMASS:

Note that imidacloprid (Merit™) applied in the spring does not work on the grubs that are present in the spring. So do not be misled by the "season-long control" claim that can be found on some of the homeowner formulations of imidacloprid. Also, in New England applications of imidacloprid made as early as May might or might not still be active in July and August when our more challenging grub species are present. So unless you have a really good reason (and assuming that white grubs are your primary concern), delay imidacloprid applications until mid June to early August.

8. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

the grubs you see in the spring don't do any damage. if you want to spot treat them you can use dylox. I would recommend waiting till mid June and apply Merit.

9. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I stand corrected. But I was closer than the RoundUp suggestion. :dancing:

10. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

The worst damage you may see are skunks and raccoons digging up the lawn looking for a nice spring time snack.