1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by George777, Jan 18, 2002.

1. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

While doing a routine maint today my partner and I noticed the customers turf was thinning out big time in a area about 3 ft sq. I'm located in alabama and all the turf grass is sleeping.

I grabbed a shovel and dug up about a 1 foot sqare and I could not believe that grubs were eating the roots. This is not suppose to happen hear in Jan.

These little guys are in the first instar and we counted about 15 with in 1 ft. Just to confirm our findings we went to the extension office and got confirmation. Because we have not had a good freeze these cats are hungry. daily temps have been in the mid 60's and night temps into the 40's.

I was blown away be this finding and will treat the target Mon.

If in the South I would keep a look out for this. I buddy of mine just did a turf instal on a lawn that was completly dead. I don't know if any connection but now it makes me wonder.http://www.canr.uconn.edu/ces/ipm/homegrnd/htms/wgrbpics.htm
  2. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

What do you plan on useing for this problem and how.
  3. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Merit & Mach2 work on first instar grubs on the rare occasion that we find them but I wouldn't. Dylox has the speed & solubility to do the job before cold weather sends them down again.
    How odd to find hungry grubs feeding near the surface this time of year.
  4. greengeezer

greengeezer LawnSite Member

Here in southern Michigan, one of the grubs we fight is the European Chafer.
    These little guys stay in the top 2 to 4 inches of soil all winter (even frozen soil). They continue to feed later in the fall and as soon as the ground thaws in the spring, the skunks and other creatures begin rototilling the lawns digging for grubs. Untill it warms up enough again for the grubs to eat, insecticides don't seem to work.
    Also last year, the Ag Dept was busting guys for applying dylox in the spring. Seems with the way the label reads unless the Extension service says its ok to treat for spring grubs, its a label violation. Once the Extension service gave the ok they stopped issuing violations. If you made an application at the 3lb(grub) rate after the Ext serv. said it was too late to treat, you were open for another violation. Our tax dollars in action.
  5. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

While most Grub Insecticides need to be ingested to work, Dylox has the advantage of entering through the grubs "skin". That's why I recommend it when they might not be actively feeding.
    Merit, Mach2, Sevin, & Diazinon (while different MOA) need to be consumed via ingestion.

6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Grub damage to turf occurs mainly in the late summer - early fall, when the grubs are dramatically growing in size. (Learn the general time frames for your region, and utilize info from your state extension about current year life cycle timing.) If they have not been controlled by a preventative program, applying Mach2 or Merit before egg hatch, then you must respond with a good curative like Dylox early in the fall. Late fall applications, when the grubs are at a nearly mature stage, will be much less effective.

Spring grub insecticide applications are generally a silly knee-jerk reaction to the presence of the insects. In spring, they are not eating very much, and the active turf growth negates slight damage done. Also at the large size they are now, even Dylox has a much lower rate of control than early fall applications. Also Dylox is very mobile in the soil, so spring rains can wash it right past the grubs before it has any effect on them.

If you notice grub populations in the spring, it is best to forget them, but plan on a preventative treatment or vigilant monitoring of the site later in the year. If you learn how to I.D. the grub species, from their raster pattern, and you have Masked Chafers, I would definitely do a preventative application, because these tend to reinfest the same area (adults do not travel very far from the area they pupate from).