Grubs!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by coolbrze, Oct 9, 2013.

1. coolbrze

coolbrze LawnSite Member

A friend of ours just top-dressed their lawn w/ Orgro & seeded this weekend. Then yesterday they called me saying they've got a major grub infestation. Are there any products they can apply to kill the grubs & not the newly sown seed? This is in VA - Zone 7, temps 48 nights/75 days, if it makes a difference.

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I think the grubs are done eating now and will go dormant to re-emerge as bugs in the Spring... You may be shutting the barn door after the horse is gone, so save the clients' money...

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

If the client called--they are ready to buy--and won't even ask about the price. Sell them two treatments--dylox now--followed by imidicloprid preventative treatments in July--July part continuing forever.

Dylox will not hurt the new grass or seed. If you don't treat the grubs now--they will continue feeding until the soil is really, really cold. They will attract a lot of skunks and blackbirds, sometimes crows, racoons, moles and armadillos.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  4. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

They're not finished eating here, they are fattening up. I do not know the life cycle timing for VA, however. Dylox and water it in well.