Grubs?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by evont22, Feb 27, 2005.

1. evont22

evont22 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I'm from central Indiana and had a lady call about having me doing some overseeding/aerating for her. When I arrived to measure the yard, I noticed
    the grass on the existing lawn, (which was put in 10+ years ago) came up fromt he soil very easily. If you even merely scuff your foot on the soil it pulls up the grass down to the soil. It is as if there is almost no root base on the grass. Does anyone know what this might be caused by? Or cures? A few people I have talked to suggest grubs are eating the roots? But i'm not really sure, and have never sprayed before. (I'm subbing it out) Any suggestions on what this may be? Thanks-

2. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Testing for grubs is easy, just dig down a few inches in the soil and you will know if they are the culprit. It may be that the soil is so compacted that the grass can't form a good root mass, or the turf type may be wrong for the environment.

3. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in PA, we were seeing grub damge until mid January with the warmer winter temps. If they're grubs, go find them like Cemars said..A lot of times, the grub damaged grass pulls up like a carpet as well...

4. southernsprayguy

southernsprayguy LawnSite Member

Definately sounds like grub damage. You really should dig down and see. Dylox should kill most of the grubs if they are in the top 2-3 inches of the soil. Good luck!

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

it's not always grubs. check as mentioned above, but remember your threshold level. grubs, and a grub problem are two different things. we got hit with a bad fungus here late that looked and acted exactly like grub damage, the only thing missing, were the grubs

6. William J. L.

William J. L. LawnSite Member

I don't know which part of Indiana you're from, but here in Ohio, we don't see grubs till very late in the summer. You may see a few in the beds which we don't worry about too much.

7. lawnboy33

lawnboy33 LawnSite Member

What type of grass is it. It may be poa trivialis. Is it real shady ?If it is blue grass or rye grass it may be grub damage from last year but I seriously doubt it.

8. what fungus?

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

oak spot.........

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Tim

Oak Spot Fungus is a sub variety of Mullet Fungus. This is a fungus those Mycelium grows down the neck of turf grass but not on the top. It is more of an egocentric problem than and agronomic problem.