grubworms bad all of a sudden

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Aug 30, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

ISU (Dr. Donald Lewis, head of Entomolgy) said my reports are the first so far (as of this afternoon) in our state.

This lawn is 20,000 sqare feet, and 2/3rds of it is infested with annual white grubworms...he approved the $110 for a Dylox treatment which will be applied tomorrow.. This lawn was just one of five that had grubworm activity today. It seems the recent rains have really brought them up to the surface all of a sudden -- looks like these guys will be somewhat widespread this season. (gotta order more Dylox) :laugh:

I know Michigan saw grubworm activity last week, but how 'bout other states? Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Missouri, etc, etc.???:usflag:

grubs 002.jpg

grubs 001.jpg

2. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

Here in CT, last week I spotted some damage. Pulled it back and saw VERY small grubs, not as big as the ones in your picture.

3. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

20k lawn for $110 dylox treatment???? Your nuts.

4. americanlawn

from midwest

turf hokie -- Our cost to treat about 15,000 sq ft = about $70, but this guy takes all five app's every year and never complains. (hey.....I'm a pisces)

mkroher --- I found some grubs in this guy's lawn that were 3/8 of an inch long at best, but most were the size in the picture (just over one inch in length). I figure the small ones hatched out later.

No more Merit ----------it's time to pull the big guns out (DYLOX) oh yah!

5. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

I was "no more Merit" a month ago.

6. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I was cutting a lawn yesterday(one that I installed) ,a very green one with no noticible problems. Went over a spot in the lawn and boom, sounded like I just sucked up a rug. Moved foward and seen a one foot square patch of grass missing with about ten grubs visible now. I told the customer about this, and he started to put down Grub-X. Will this do anything for them at this time of year?

With seeing so many Japenese beetles this year, I'm wondering how many other lawns are going to get hard from all this rain with grub damage.

7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Remember that lawn I was talking about a few weeks ago - white grubs there.

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

G.M.
    I would say it is too late for cutomers's Grub-Ex. It contains Scotts Merit. Not much effect on almost mature larger grubs. Check back in a week. Try to convince him to go with your Dylox plus preventative Merit next July.

9. americanlawn

from midwest

I talked to my local LESCO this afternoon (ordered more Dylox). They received only two reports of annual white grubworms. We've treated 11 lawns this week already. The customers who received the earlier Merit seem to have no grub activity....just mowing too short, old drought damage, or some leaf spot/melting out. Greenbug aphid damage is still happening too.

I just replied to our land-grant university's head entomologist. He kindly asked permission to use my grubworm photos for his classes. I said no prob, cuz that's the least I can do for all they do for us guys out in the field. The ISU staff is top notch (even though I an avid HAWKEYE fan) LOL

We service 3000 accounts and cover 40 miles in all directions, but I'm baffled as to why LESCO knows of only 2 reports of grubs (one was a GOFF course). Maybe lawn companies are not looking close enough? ISU I can understand, cuz people don't usually call up a university saying they have grubs and now what.

10. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

We just started seeing them today. But they are still very small. Very little damage as of yet.