1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Grumpy people...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by All_Clear, Mar 4, 2006.

1. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

Well i passed out doorhangers today and all was good, nice weather, friendly people i spoke to, etc etc...

Had one house i put a doorhanger on the outside door, inside door was open, slid it on and walked away, got to the end of the drive and heard the door open to see an arm come out and fling the doorhanger back at me. (couldnt help but laugh after i got down the road) :rolleyes:

I had the thought of going back to pick it up but decided against it... :confused:

Now there was no sign anywhere that i saw, some neighbors had the no soliciting signs but she didnt and i passed up the ones that did in respect...

Figure now she still has to pick it up off her porch or out of her yard, so maybe she'll still read it (laughs) and give me a call.

Anyone have anything like that happen? or people just down right rude with you?

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

you'll experience all kinds. I remember a few years ago, I was in a neighborhood, and this guy was washing his car in the drive. I saw him watching me as I went to the neighbor's house. when I approached him, he immeidately said, "i dont' want it." I said, "but you don't know what it is." he says, "still don't want it." I just kept walking. not everyone is going to be receptive to you, that's for sure.
  3. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

Two years ago Iwas doing door hangers in one neighbourhood. One elderly owner was in his front yard so I greet him and say, "How are you?". He replies, "Fine, until now". (he was referring to my soliciting) Told him what my flier was for and he says "No thanks". So I leave. A year and a half later he took ill and through a neighbour reference to him, I cut his lawn for him 3 or 4 times.

Some people just don't want to be solicited to. Don't blame them either.
  4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Mowermoney, that reminds me of my grandpa. When a company would call on the phone he would answer, "SPEAK!" and then when they ask him how he was doing, he would reply, "JUST FINE UNTIL YOU A**HOLES CALLED!" and then he would hang up.
  5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

You do relize that by opening her door with the inside door already opened you commited a crime! :dizzy:

So the call you get might not be the one you wanted, Cops like old people they tend not to lie she would have the proof and most cops have parents or grandparents that are seniors.

YOU should have went back and picked it up
  6. nephilim0167

nephilim0167 LawnSite Member

I don't think he opened the screen door. You can usually see if the inside door is open without opening the outside door. I could be terribly wrong, though.
  7. Kilroy

Kilroy LawnSite Member
    from KY

No doubt there are many folks who would say it's you who are rude. People are bombarded daily with solicitations wanting to sell them something: in their mailboxes, driveways, on their door knobs, by email, by telephone, on their TVs, on the radio, etc. Many are tired of it. And lots of people just don't like strangers on their property. Just because someone doesn't have a no solicitation sign posted doesn't mean they're going to be glad to see you or your flyer. To many people, your flyer is just more litter, and you are a stranger to be wary of. Is it possible you frightened this person?
  8. All_Clear

No i didnt open the all glass front outside door... :hammerhead: so no i didnt commit any crime, but thanks for your concern :dizzy:

I dont open doors... most homes now have alarms and more and more on the outside door...

Yeah i realize others take it as me being rude, I'm pretty much the same way but i'm not rude about it, a simple no thanks is enough...

oh well cant please everyone...

9. All_Clear

Doubt it... but who knows....

Not going to lose sleep over it but never had anyone quite do what she did when i've passed out flyers before...

I have serviced others in the area (same street a few houses away) everyone else in that area has been very nice and easy to deal with...

10. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Hmmm, I've never had anyone react like that before. normally the worst I get is, thank you but I've got it taken care of already, or something like that. typical responce, have a nice day sir/ma'am.