gs30 with 54" deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MarkC, Jan 23, 2010.

1. MarkC

MarkC LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Does anyone have a jd gs30 54" deck? I just picked one up for 1795.00 plus 322.87 for s/h. Is this a good mower ? (PS brand new just old stock) It has a command pro 13 on it. I hope picked a good mower.:confused:

2. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

13hp on a 54" deck seems a bit underpowered, but it all depends on what your mowing I guess? My Exmark TTHP is a 52" deck with 19hp Kawi. and my exmark metro is 48" deck with 15hp Kawi. John Deere is a good brand and as long as you take good care of it, it should give a long service life. Didnt you look around locally to buy a mower?

3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

The older mowers like that had the "smaller" engines on them. They usually did fine. In today's market, a 13hp is rarely put on any mower other than maybe a 32". But that mower was designed with that engine so it should do fine. And since it is only a gear drive, the drive system shouldn't take nearly the power that a hydro would need. Just don't expect this mower to power through thick, overgrown stuff. But for weekly type maintenance, this mower should do just fine.

4. MarkC

MarkC LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Thanks guys yes i did look local but what i seen was junk. I was looking at a bunton 48 for 1500.00. It was used then i seen the gs30 on ebay from the dealer looked like a great deal but was a little gun shy about the 13hp. They told me it has alot of power.:weightlifter: I will let you know. Thanks