Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jlewis, Apr 16, 2004.

1. jlewis

jlewis LawnSite Member

Still not sure what happened. Went to a used equipment sale at the local dealer. I was after a POS MTD / Sears etc for my son and I to play with - he is 5. The wife was with me and she asked why I was looking at that crap. I told her and her reply was "No way, last summer we bought him a JD gator toy and he is not getting a mower even if it is $100.00. I thought we were here to get you something." Now, I may be dumb, but even I caught that. Ever since I started on this site I have wanted a WB. Currently I am only cutting my 1 acre, but with trees, flower beds, decks, pool, hills the current rider is too cumbersome. I saw a nice clean GS45 w/ a tri cycle deck. The short ending of the story is it is now in my backyard! The cut is great. I need a lot of practice with it, but I should be able to get a very nice cut and stripes by season's end!

Anybody use the seat offered by JungleJim? I am 6'5" and really need about 4" of handle lenght. I tried a sitting sulkie at the dealer (stealer?) and it was nice but he wanted $750.00 for it.

2. CRM Lawncare

CRM Lawncare LawnSite Member

I also use a GS45 commercially, good mower just not very many aftermarket accessories available for it. I use a two wheel sulky that a guy on ebay manf's and sells. It was about $170.00 shipped and has grease fittings etc. It bolted right up to the factory holes and I have been very happy with it. I tried one of the sitting sulkys but always had the sensation I was about to fall off of it. Good luck with the new mower.

Here is the sulky i purchased.
  3. jlewis

jlewis LawnSite Member

Never thought about falling off!

I never would have gone out w/ the intention of buying green and yellow. I had toyed w/ Exmark WB for a while now. Glad to hear you are happy w/ it. JD products are everywhere around here. You dont see many LCO w/ red untill you get down in MD.

I think I am going to walk w/ it for a while. The controls are a bit different than my snowblower so the hand controls will take some getting used to. I thought no prob, use them on the snowblower, how hard can this be? Stalled her twice yesterday in 10 minutes, thats how hard.

It is overkill, but I average $45 an hr in home improvement. Less time cutting means more time billing out or spending w/ the little heads and the wife.