gt 1100

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stslawncare, May 19, 2001.

1. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

hey found a echo gt 1100, i believe it is old but not sure, dont have any manuals or anything for it. first question is what is the gas mixture? is this a strong weed wacker? it has chains instead of string, i have never seen this before, do they cut well? is this a brush attachment? how hard is it to change it back to string? i havent started this thing yet since i dont know what type of gas.

2. stslawncare

from DE

nobody owns one of these?

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Are you trying to buy a used one? Are you set on one model and that's the one you want? I would just go out and buy a new one if it's old. You might save some $$$ now but later you will be kicking yourself. I heard those chains were recalled because of safety. I'd stay away from those and get a regular trimming head and string. Wouldn't want to hit anything with those suckers on! Speaking of which, yesterday I was trimming around a sprinkler riser that was PVC pipe and about 2 1/2 feet high and I started trimming around it and it just snapped off and fell to the ground! I was sitting here thinking "dang, for .080 string, this stuff is tough!". LOL. Good luck.

I did end up fixing the pipe. No flooded lawn.

4. stslawncare

from DE

i already have this got it for free

5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

most all echo's run fine w/ 40:1 gas, and they reccomend 50:1 when using echo oil. the chain thing I have seen is an aftermarket item at lowes. you should be able to buy a head from an echo dealer or at landscapers supply catalog. there is a hole that lines up with the top od the head that you can inset a small scewdriver to lock the shaft and "Unscrew" the chain head. It could be reverse threads, but the gt is the homeowner curved shaft and it used to be standard. I agree with the previous post, a new srm 2400 at 200 bucks is a commercial investment. the gt series had a single piston ring and tended to be used by homeowners once a week instead of 40 hous a week. dave g

6. stslawncare

from DE

there is no question that it isnt a commercial weed wacker but im sure it is better then my curved shaft craftsman? also it has two knobs, a on/of and a open/close, wheres the choke? whats the open/close? also no primer. how the heck do i start the thing?