Guards on trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MikeKle, Jun 27, 2008.

1. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I see more and more guys around here with NO guards on their trimmers, The more I think about it the better it sounds, that guard is always getting in the way! and I think the extra grass being thrown all over your shoes is a small price to pay for the added versatility,the only thing I cant figure is how they are doing without the line cutter on the guard? How are they keeping their line at the correct length?Hopefully someone will enlighten me about this.

2. aird208

aird208 LawnSite Member

i leave all my guards on, but when i worked for another company they ran them without. when your out trimming and you get too much string out just about the only option was to find something hard (a sidewalk/ cement) and rev up the trimmer and grind it down to a proper legnth. I too would like to hear other ways of solving to prob.

3. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Throw a gravel in someone's face with your guard off and see how much you're gona save...

4. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Trust me, a rock up your nose hurts like....You'll never run without a guard on again.

5. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, ive had many things thrown in my face while trimming. I mostly get it when i edge with my trimmer. I can answer all those questions. Its much better to have it off cause you can get the head more level to the ground. second, it adds visibility, instead of havin to walk around a post u can stand in one spot and go around it. as far as the proper amount of string and keepin it even. this is what i do. when i first string it up i cut the string real short to make sure i start off with even lengths. then i bump it twice and im in business. and then when i need string, i bump and keep goin. theres no such thing as the "proper" length. some people run like 8 inchs some run 6. its what even makes ya happy. what you have to do is find what length of string you like. guards are jus a pain in the a$$. at first i always had it one and then i tried it with no guard and i hated it cause i found it lost power, but that was cause i had to much string out and the trimmer couldnt handle it. then i said, let me try it ONE more time, and i did and i feel in love with it. then when i got my new trimmer, i said, let me keep this shield on, and i got pissed cause i had to walk around thinks and it jus reallly got in the way, so i took it off mid trimmin. take it off, get used to it, and sux it up, this is grass cutting, not desk duty.

6. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Keep it on your trimmer will last longer and alot safer.....And if you know how to use a trimmer its never in your way.

7. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I have two Echo's. One with guard and one with Edge-It. The edge-it allows me some of the freedoms a no-guard trimmer offers, but actually gives me better protection than the oem guard.

I prefer the edge-it to the oem 95% of the time...

And if you have too much string out, just grab the head, depress, and twist some back in...

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

No guards for me since 1997. No accidents either but then I don't trim when other people are around me.

9. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

No guards here either. Easier to edge with out the guards. As far as too much line sticking out use a Speed Feed head, if you bump to much out, just wind it back in. Excessive line length is hard on the clutch.

10. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't repair them when they came in without the guards.
    When the user handed it to me, I told them to "take a look at the new ones, while I just go throw this in the dumpster".

Got a lot of guys to change their habits. Usually because I was the only one in town that did'n't have a 2 week wait. Made a lot of people angry, too. But I've got my own stupidity to worry about, I don't need to worry about other people's safety habits.

I would repair them, if they brought the parts in, or authorized me to order and install new ones.