guards or no guards on trimmers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JKOOPERS, Feb 28, 2005.

Trimmer guards or no trimmer guards?

1. YES

83 vote(s)
  2. NO

70 vote(s)

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

who uses guards on their trimmers and who takes them off? i have never really understood the concept of taking them off . a guard is called a guard for a reason .
  2. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

Enough stuff hits me with them on. I can't imagine how much more my legs would get cut up with them off.
  3. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Taking the guards off your trimmers is very unprofessional for a lawn care company to do in my opinion. Not only is it dangerous to the person running the trimmer, but to anybody around you or any object near you. I just couldn't justify hitting a person or breaking a window with a flying stone from a trimmer. As it is guards don't stop everything anyway.

Yes taking the trimmer guard off allows you to save time because its quicker, but you put more strain on an engine running 12" pieces of line. If you save time using trimmers without guards on, but you prematurely wear out your trimmer and have to buy a new one, are you really saving yourself any money? I mean that $30 you made on a lawn, not all of it is made with your trimmer so your not really bringing in all that much money with your trimmer.

For anyone who thinks that taking the guard off your trimmer and running line longer then the cutter on the guard would allow, wouldn't affect your trimmer in a negative way, then why does it void your warranty? Just ask your dealer.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

glad to see someone agrees with me MJ
  5. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Don't let OSHA catch you without guards on, I'm sure they would like a word with you. Taking guards off is silly IMO and very dangerous. I have been pelted enough in the legs and face by flying debris you can barely see with a guard on, I can't imagine taking one off. I try to wear pants as much as possible but some days call shorts when it is just too dang hot out. I always wear my protective glasses as well. I agree with the above comments about it being unprofessional to take guards off as well. You never know what customers or potential customers are watching and see something unsafe and may not want you on there property. I am also sure the insurance company would not like it too much either. It's better to be safe then sorry.
  6. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

It makes a huge difference with it off when you carry it for 2 hours at a time. It's much easier on the back because its balance better. Not to mention you can get around an entire tree or pole without walking around the whole thing, I think it saves time. With auto feed heads I can see why you need to leave it on so the string stays the right length. I've run them both ways, and quite honestly I can tell very little difference with the guard on as opposed to off. Just my opinion and I'm not saying its correct it's just what we do. I'm sure someone will jump on me, all well. I don't think its possible to post on this sight anymore without someone ripping someone else.
  7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't ask your insurance company to back you up if you are running with no guards. Why expose yourself to so much more liability, and for such a small gain in productivity?? :rolleyes:
  8. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I have never used a trimmer with the gaurd on, i have a echo 210 soon as i got home the gaurd came off this is my 3rd season with it still runs like new (i only trim at half throttal) i like it because its only 9lbs. i used to work for one of the biggest landscapers around here they have over 900 accounts from ohio to michigan and not one of there trimmers has a gaurd on it whether it looks unprossional or not it isnt hurting them in any way. to me you waste more string with the gaurd on everytime you bump it its to long and cuts it.
  9. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you mow with your chute deflector in the correct position? Many don't because the clippings gets discharged better...... Is that silly? :D

The guard on a trimmer is obviously there for liability reason but do they really work that good? I've tried it boths ways. I ran my trimmer with the guard on for about a year, got real good at trimming. Learned about removing the guard from this site and decided to give it a try. I loved it and it's that way still. No one should trim 24" with a trimmer. With no guard on my line rarely goes longer than 5-6"s. At about 4" i give it a bump and I'm back to 5-6".
  10. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

For you guys that are solo or partners....OSHA has NO jurisdiction over you.