Guards or no-guards

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by parkeeee, Jul 26, 2006.

?

Remove grass deflectors?

1. Yes, always have deflector off

49.1%
  2. Deflector is used as needed

50.9%
  1. parkeeee

parkeeee LawnSite Member

I have seen a lot of machines without grass deflectors attached. While this can disperse clippings more evenly over the lawn, the risk of shooting debris is too great for my tastes. I will bungee cord up my deflector when in wide open spaces but never when near buildings/people/vehicles.

The equipment at work is all rear discharge so this is not an issue, but the equipment that I have for my lawn care business is side discharge and I would never completely remove it.

Just today, while going down the street, there was someone cutting a median with the deflector completely removed. With temperatures in the upper 80's I had my window rolled down and as I passed a chunk of branch was launched in my direction by the mower.

What is the general consensus on keeping or removing a deflector?

:weightlifter:

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We take em off and go with blade blockers.

3. GBSLAND

GBSLAND LawnSite Member

Same here:clapping:

4. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Quick chute on ours and no regrets.

5. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

In previous years when I side discharged I never had one on. Last year I had an OCDC, and this year I mulch, so there is obviously no need for one.

6. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

The guard is on it, just up and away.

7. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

I usually do both. Some lawns that are short I discharge I have the chute down. But when lawns are really tall and thick I have the discharge chute up. I just depends on the conditions.

8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah I never run with chutes on my mowers dont like the rows of cut grass laying all over a yard we just cut, not in the bailing busn. I have been running without them on all of my mowers for over 15 yr with no problems. By the way isn't that why we carry insurance ? just in case something happens?

9. Waterscapes By Design

Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member

I personally take all mine off too, I cant stand to see a yard with rows of clippings every 34-52 inches wide, it just takes away from that clean fresh cut look..... I recently put on a couple mulching decks and am quite pleased! Only problem I have with the mulching decks is that sometimes I'm actually getting hit in the face by a little bit of the grass that comes sort of out the front of the mower as I ride.....anyone else with a mulching deck have that happen??

10. Phil's Lawn Care

Phil's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Leave mine on and bungee cord them up... Then when around beds, cars, etc, I let the bungee cord down.