guarentee on sod

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 29, 2002.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

a friend of mine called me today for some advice, here is the scene: he did a small sod job back in june. he told the customer to water twice daily. customer did so, but with a hand held hose, and we all know u cant water properly that way. in the middle of august(heat here around 99 degrees) customer decides to fertilize lawn, resulting in.....no more lawn. he called my friend today and demanded the lawn be replaced, quite rudely, foul language, etc. my friend calls me for advice, i give the following advice: tell client he did not follow watering instructions, we had a drought , and most importantly, he should have hired a proffesional to fertilize. if customer persists, tell him u will file a harrasment charge with the police if he doesnt stop. so, any advice for him? thanx

2. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

if its dead now how long has this been this way . if it was growing fine till he ferted it then its on the customer

3. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a customer contact me with a very similar complaint. This man sent me a certified letter out of the blue about a year after I installed the sod and threatened to sue me and contact our local news investigative reporter if I did not replace his lawn immediatley. I called 2 spraying contractors (one I deal with and one I don't) and had them do an inspection on the lawn. They determined that the lawn died do to drought, severe bug infestation, and chemical damage. I sent the customer a certified letter with the reports from both companies enclosed, and basically told him that I regret that he is disatisfied, however the damage to the lawn was out of my control. Never heard from him again. Hope this helps.

4. soccer coach

soccer coach LawnSite Member
    from midwest

Late last spring we did our biggest verticut and seed job,over 3500.00. Let me say this that I talked to the wife of the home 3 times about watering and told her I didn't see how she could water it all. She said no problem and that she doesn't work so that will keep her busy. The night after we did the work the husband calls and asks if I can come over to get pd. Be right over :D . We walked the yard abit and they said they couldn't be happier. As I was getting ready to take off I reminded them about watering again. The husband said they are taking off the next day for 3 weeks but will water when he gets back:dizzy: . I about fell over. I told him to find someone to water or we just wasted the money. He said he would. I get a call about a month after in the 1st week of July. He says I need to redo the work and he is going to sue. I went right over to take a look and the thing was so dry it had cracks in the dirt. I had called his neighbor a good friend of mine and asked if he had seen it being watered as he works out of his home and doesn't miss a thing. He told me the guy came over and asked if he could water it while he was gone but my buddy said he just couldn't get into a project during the day. I asked my customer if he watered and he said it rained once while he was gone but couldn't find anyone. We decided to put it in the lap oin my competition and he called 3 co's to come out. All told the same thing as no water no grass. He called and said the matter is over but will do biz elsewhere. I was glad to hear that :blob3: . Moral of the story: Unless they pay you to stay and water the bet is off and watering is on them.

5. I warrent any of my sod jobs that I install irrigation at the same time. I do note and repeat this statement all the time if it's a lawn only install. I only warrant that I did the proper preperation. I do not warrant any lawn only installs if being watered by hand.

I make every sod job sign this paper. I have had to produce the original a few times over 20 years, but once I show this signed document, end of story!

John

6. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

not really related to sod, but I guess it can be. Another local landscape contractor who is a friend of mine did this small planting job under $5,000, gave the customer watering instructions, copy of plant gaurentee, etc. She called him back a month later saying some of the plant material died, out of good will he replaced some of it. He had suspected she wasn't watering so he tied a knot in the hose so no water could get through. A few more weeks go by, she calls him back saying the stuff he replaced has died. She swears up and down she is watering, and this is the only outside water source. He points out to her that there is no way she is watering because the knot in the house is still there from the last time he was there.. She was flustered and didn't know what to say. But it was the end of the story..

7. tailoredlook

tailoredlook LawnSite Member

The only guarantee I give a customer when it comes to sod jobs is Yep I guarantee this is sod. I leave explicit watering instructions along with a sprinkler and a timer for the hose end.