Guess that valve

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Kiril, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Went out to do discovery today...some of you old timers will enjoy these.

Will post a close up once someone nails it.

DSCN1543.jpg

DSCN1561.jpg

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Would help if you had a better picture of the valve, instead of the vacuum breakers :)

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I have a better pic, but then that would take the fun out of it. How many 4 bolt bonnets on a brass valve are there?

But since you asked.

DSCN1564.jpg

4. I'm guessing royal coach/buckner

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Four-bolt bonnets would be the norm on a one-inch valve. Solenoid looks like a Buckner or Royal Coach.

6. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Weathermatic 8000 Brass

7. Wet_Boots

I would have said W*M on the basis of the bonnet, but the solenoid seemed different, somehow. An enlargement does show some of the S24B shape.

I had a lot of stuck-open service calls on those, mostly on older ones with the big green solenoid. New diaphragm, and a flow-control stem installed, and they were good for years to come. Maybe some corrosion to scrape away from the valve seat, or even a film of rust on the solenoid plunger.

The old green solenoid was an odd one. No spring, so upright valve position only. The solenoid seat in the bonnet contained the rubber - none on the plunger.

8. Wet_Boots

One design flaw on the early W*M valves was a port in the bonnet (instead of ports in the diaphragm) that used a tightly-wound-spring as a filter. That arrangement would get clogged, and a new diaphragm was the cure.

9. I think you may have it. The solenoid as boots says looks off. Could be the view or angle.

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't base it solely on the solenoid unless it's verified as original. There's a couple of "universal solenoid" kits out there with the larger thread patterns that fit most of the older brass valves and they have different shapes.