Guess we all got to have our first time...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowerMoney, Apr 29, 2005.

1. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

I've read others talk about this and thought "Why don't they just open their eyes and be more careful".
    On my first lawn this morning with my ZTR and in the very far back of the property is this "little" slope with some water running at the bottom. well I made it around 2 trees already so I tried the third. Oh Oh. The back tires slid down the slope and there I was. Stuck in the mud. Couldn't go forward or backwards. Put some nice ruts there though. No help with me today either. Everyone I called wasn't home. Thought of using my walk behind to help pull it out. Had no rope. Had no one to drive it anyways.
    Finally managed to swing the front out and jockey it up the slope a bit. My aching back. 45 minutes later I drove it out. Man was I happy then. Covered in mud, but happy.
    Glad the lady wasn't home. Have to go back and finish fixing up the ruts though. Won't be doing that again.

2. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Man, it seems like some of you folks that have to cut this kind of area should just mount a small electric winch on the frame of your equipment. If you mounted it in the front, it'd be easier to steer your equipment out.

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Why don't you just wait till it dries out a bit before cutting?

I saw guy's cutting in the rain today. :dizzy:

4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Been there... and have done the same thing. It happens when you're trying to do the best. Learn from the mistake!

Thank God you were not injured. Property damage means nothing..so don't concern yourself with ruts or turf damage.

Tell the customer about the event. A good customer will thank you for being honest.

5. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a few area like this and to be safe i get the 21" out for those areas

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

This is the major weakness of the conventional zero turn mowing equipment.

I now use the word conventional due to the Gizmow design....

But anyways.... I put the lawn tractor on that sort of stuff, because if you don't it's very likely to bite you in the arse before it's over.... one day it's a hair damper, or softer.... and BAM!!... there you are!

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

You would have had lots of fun if it was a diesel. I have also been stuck at a customers with a 280 lb tank of spray on the deck. Sunk in bad in soft clay. All by meself. Lucky I am not 140lbs. I somehow took the deck off and backed the tractor out with some major difficulty.
    The customer was cool, she knew it was bad in that spot and told me that the township had to come back to re-grade so I shouldn't worry about fixing it. I made it look decent until they came.
    It happens to the best of us, ya just want to kick yourself and say I told ya so.