1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Guess who's applying in Iowa in February?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by JLC, Feb 28, 2002.

1. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I went to my Lesco open house and was tooling around on a PermaGreen and noticed there was a posting sign in the adjacent property. I asked and was told our favorite lawn care company was putting down a yellow spray (Pre-M). Upon leaving I saw a couple of their trucks out working. For your info, it was low 20s today with a wind that wouldn't quit. To boot we are supposed to get 4-6 inches of snow tomorrow. I feel sorry for the phone operators at their office. They really know how to make the industry as a whole look BAD.
  2. CS Lawns

CS Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

JLC - I have recently seen them here also, Im in CB.
  3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

What are the soil temps? I've been applying for two weeks now. Sounds like they are doing split apps, which require an app now and one 6 weeks later.
  4. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Haven't checked soil temps, but let me put it this way. I haven't been able to get a soil sampler into the ground when doing quotes because the ground is frozen. I wouldn't think that they're doing a thing except getting an extra billing in. I do a single app of dimension and I like to wait till the temps are right to try and make it through the whole season.
  5. Pacific Nursery

Pacific Nursery LawnSite Member

I do a split app of dimension, one in March and one in April. This on advice, amoung others, from my lesco reps.
  6. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Sounds cold to me.
  7. Garry

Garry LawnSite Member

Considering the fact that spring fertilizations are done in the fall..................Anyone with even a basic knowlege of plants can, at the very least, assume they're simply ripping off their clients.

When the soil finally warms and the micro-organism population kicks in, the flush of available nitrogen will force excessive topgrowth at the expense of the root system.

Succulent grass plants, although green, don't always make for a healthy lawn.

I saw a sign today..........................I simply shook my head.
  8. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:confused: i saw a local firm the other day applying fre-m during a "snow" event, over the top of a 1/2 of snow which melted 2 hours later. unbelivable, probobaly will not apply until last week of march,tony
  9. Meagle816

Meagle816 LawnSite Member
    from mo

i also seen people applying in feb. we recently had ice storm. alot of brush along curbs. seen a sign on lawn that still had brush along edge of lawn. does'nt make since to me.
  10. Nebraska

Nebraska LawnSite Senior Member

The soil Temps in the Omaha and CB area are at 27 degrees today (that is if you can find a place to get the thermometer thru the frost). On top of that we had 7 inches of snow on 3-2. Last week they were at 36 degrees. Trugreen and Scotts are out in this area both applying fertilizer, claim it to be pre-emergence.
    They have been able to sell people on this sucessfully and as such are sucessfully increasing their revenue.
    Would not this be considered an unnecessary introduction of chemicals into the environment? Or do they just have so many accounts the only way to get them done is to start early?
    Nothing like taking your customers to the cleaners!

We have a local company that puts 8 applications of fertilizer on properties and oddly enough the majority of them look like crap!! He rhymes with peeved (hint).