Guide times for trimming

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by newbie35, Feb 3, 2007.

1. newbie35

newbie35 LawnSite Member

How much time do you figure into a bid for trimming? How many feet came you trim in a minute is what I am really asking.
    Thanks

2. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

We trim a lot of fencelines at our ballfields...A good operator can go about 2 miles per hour- which is roughly 170 feet per minute. On guardrails, production is slowed to about .5 miles per hour per side which equals out to .25 miles per hour or 22 feet per minute. These times do not take into account travel time, string reloads, waterbreaks, or gassing up. I hope this helps.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

It's hard to time actual trimming because you will often do a lot of walking while not trimming. But you can record times for the whole process start to finish after taking the job.

What I do is whip out the measuring wheel. I measure everything to be trimmed and edged. Then I take the linear feet and multiply it by like 1 or 2 cents a linear foot. This is what I charge to trim and edge each week. I add that to my figure for mowing and thats the total price.

In my opinion, you have to figure up jobs separately like that... otherwise you get burnt on the trim/edge intensive ones... and to me those are the ones we should make the most on.

I never allow myself to get hurt on the trimming part of the job.
    It's too much work when it's 95 all week.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I do it the same way. A penny a foot I have to walk starting at the trailer and ending up there.

Don't forget to add in blowing time if they have a lot to blow. I bid and got a large estate a few years back that had a lot of driveway and sidewalks. There was easily 500 ft. of sidewalk and another 1,000 ft. of 20 foot wide driveway. I didn't figure the time it would take me to blow all of these hard surfaces off and burned myself the first year. I raised his price the second year to account for the additional time (about 10 to 15 minutes).

5. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

If you guys charged 1 or 2 cents per foot on guardrails you would be out of business!:hammerhead: On gnarly guardrails that are spec'd out to be trimmed 1ft on each side(actual is 2 ft) I charge at least .06 per foot. On easy Highway guardrails, I go as low as .04. When it comes to my parks or ballfields, I have never conemplated charging customers per foot for trimming... Usually(always), my bigger properties are maintained under a service contract. Rest assured I get paid for trimming; but, I have never given a customer a bill just for it(except guardrails).