Gum Balls

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cooksjr537, Mar 4, 2004.

1. cooksjr537

cooksjr537 LawnSite Member

This year will be my second doing this yard. The customer wants her gum balls raked up. I was wondering if there is a better way to gets these gum balls up besides raking them or cutting down the tree.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

What, huh, you have lost me.
  3. cooksjr537

I call them gum balls or sticky balls I don't know the proper term for them.
  4. SCFF

SCFF LawnSite Member

I guess you're talking about those pita little spike gum balls from the gum trees. The only thing I can think to make it easier is blow them to one area and then rake them up. I have a couple of yards besides mine with them and I hate em. So I hope someone else might know a more efficient way.
  5. cooksjr537

Thanks for the info SCFF
  6. Flipperneck

Flipperneck LawnSite Member

If you have a push blower use it....if you have a good backpack that will work too.
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The best way to clean them up is to blow them. You can inject the tree to make it stop producing the gum balls.
  8. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I used my 8hp lawn vac it did a great job.

9. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Man I had to establish alot of edging at a home today and those things were all around the edges.I use a walk behind edger and I cussed those things all afternoon.
    I'm gonna say it.You know me.....:) A pull behind sweeper will do a good job getting those up.