gumballs, and not the bubble blowin kind

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by maninthesand, Jul 31, 2005.

1. maninthesand

maninthesand LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I need a solution to my gumball problem. I've just started up from the occasional neighbor and friends yard to residential and commercial. And gumballs are one of my biggest pet peeves. They are hard to blow, hard to mow, and seem to wreak havoc on all of my equipment. Any ideas to get rid of these boogers other than turning away business?
  2. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

We usually start the first mowing with gumball removal. Grab a couple of guys with hard metal rakes and backpack blowers. Try not to tromp around and dig the gumballs into the ground more.
  3. GreenGrassEarnsCash

GreenGrassEarnsCash LawnSite Member

whats a gumball?
  4. jflazerz

jflazerz LawnSite Member

oversize durable plastic rakes work better
  5. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Our 1st mowing cycle of the season we usually carry extra rakes and bags to clean these up. I try to tell people to call me in march to get them up before the mowing season starts. But that never happens.
    Did you know that there is a chemical you can feed the gum tree to change it's sex? I forget which sex bears the gumballs but the opposite sex does not.
  6. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

What chemical, I want a 50 lbs bag full
  7. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

8. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Those things are awful as are any type of berry and nut trees. Do people think when they plant stuff like this?
  9. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

When I put my door hangers out... houses with 40 foot white pines or sweetgum trees don't get one, period. Cherry trees can be a pain in the butt too. At least apples and pears are easy to get up.
  10. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I couldnt figure out what a gum ball was myself (Sweet Gum Tree fall out), like acorns and pine cones but worse and more of them...still not as bad as magnolia tree seed pods in my opinion.

These gum balls are spiked and do not mow well, they turn into high flying projectiles when hit with a mower blade traveling at 240mph, though they are light weight and would likely not cause damage to a structure...they are a major PITA!