Gumballs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Richard Martin, Mar 12, 2001.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

How do the rest of you clean up gumballs?

There are a couple of ways to do it here.

One of my competitors cuts the grass real short and drags a lawn sweeper behind his Scotts 20-48. He tells me the sweeper gets real heavy because of the dirt it picks up.

I use my backpack blower to blow them into piles and then I put them into a trashcan and finally in my truck.

For those of you who are wondering gumballs are the seed pod that falls from Sweet Gum trees all winter long and into the spring. The pods are about 1-1/4 inches around (hence the name gumball) and very woody. Each tree grows to about 70 to 80 feet tall and can contain hundreds of these little devils. These trees are everywhere in my area.

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I don't clean them up unless I have an agreement with the owner to do so. and in that event, he pays extra for his special request. raking is the only way I collect them.

GEO

3. MikeGA

MikeGA LawnSite Member

I collect them up between the belt and the pulleys on my mower deck, then it feels like all He11 is breaking loose when the deck starts shaking.

4. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

My grasshopper sucks them up with no problem..

5. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

It seems to me that most mowers don't do a good job. The gumballs get packed into the turf by the wheels. I used the backpack, then walk behind blowers to collect them in a pile. Then we vacuumed them into the truck.

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Thank goodness that rhe only gumballs that I have to deal with are on my own property. Suckem up with the Grasshopper or blow them into the stream.

7. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

I just bought a lawnsweeper last week and sweetgum-balls where the first things it was used on. You know for such a cheap and out-dated peice of equipment, it did a great job. Worked really good on leaves and pine-cones too, and only cost $200.00.

8. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Wait until it rains and the ground is soft. Drive over the gum balls to push them into the ground. Bill the customer for aeration and clean up!

9. Grateful11

Grateful11 LawnSite Member

Accuratelawn, I love that one. If I just had something heavy enough to mash one of my customers 500-1000 pine cones into the ground I'd have it made. These are the nice 3-6inch jobs. After all the wind we've had in the last 2 weeks they're everywhere.
    Grateful

10. what do you do for all those nuts? the hickory nuts that the squirrel's chew up and leave in pieces all over the yard?