1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gummed up spreader....

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TLS, Jun 5, 2007.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

It's happened to me before, but today it stopped me early.

Spreader gummed up pretty bad with weed/feed residue.

Question to all of you.... What do you do in this situation?

Does it affect calibration?

Spinner plate became so heavy, that my gears were stripping when I pushed it hard/quick.

The spreader was clean this morning. I started at 6am and was finished by 8:30am (it was starting to dry up) got 250K down. But what do you guys do when you must go the whole day?

Product was Lebanon 19-0-6 Confront-3 with Dimension. Though in the past I've had similar results with various other products.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Here is another....

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Cleans up real nice with just a hose, but I don't think using a customers hose is something anyone wants to do.

There was a pretty heavy dew this morning (Ideal conditions for weed/feed).

4. EcoLawn  Inc.

EcoLawn Inc. LawnSite Member

I know this problem very well. I lived through it for about 10 years. Just about any granular fertilizer that has dust will create this problem. We always carried a small puddy knife in our trucks to clean off the impeller. Sometimes it needs done after each lawn or after every couple, depending on how big the lawn is. Just make sure it isn't too wide of a knife that itf can't fit between the impeller and the fertilizer bucket.
  5. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

Try using Fluid Film to keep your spreader from gumming up.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i use it and it works Fluid Film
    u sure do have a mess with all of that i would have been scraping the spreader after each lawn
  7. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

That is why I don't use Lebanon products.
  8. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

And to answer the original question, yes that will definitely affect calibration. Always keep a small putty knife handy.
  9. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

wow, i have never seen so much gunk build up from a fertilizer!

i've heard great things about lebanon's MESA, makes me have second thoughts about their products, i here most of their blends are pretty dusty!

heavy dew in the morning certainly does not help the situation

i would look into purchasing a closed gear box to avoid premature wear and tear
  10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Wouldn't that cause it to stick MORE? Something dry always sticks to something wet.