1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Guranteed, are they not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by olderthandirt, Apr 21, 2004.

1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Put in a plant package a yr and a half ago for a couple and they looked great and the customers were happy. They hired someone last yr to put river gravel around them becoase they did not like my price. went past once in the early fall before there gurantee ran out and everything was fine. Got the call today 8 plants on the north side died and they want then replaced. Well I was in no mood to talk to them today so I said I would get back to them tomorrow. They were planted in nov. 2002 and I have had no contact with the people since, So what would you do? Replace if they paid for the plants or just tell them to quit wasting my time. I have no idea what killed them or if they were sprayed or if the weather got them, its been a yr. and 1/2 and the people don't live in my area or where I work so its an hr drive each way to go look at them, so suggestions people.

2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

You ARE kidding aren't you? One year max on anything I plant IF they have irrigation.
  3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

If it was me they'd be SOL 1 year thats it. But thats if i maintain them if not no guaranty
  4. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

hole in one, you got that right on the maintain part. you don't know what could of killed them, exspecially salt damage after this winter, i have 15 shrubs that home owners killed because of over salting. on the guaranty, we don't guaranty period, i inspect all plants for diesease, insects, the roots, soil, and everything else at the site to make sure that that plant will survive and mature where we plant it.
  5. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

1 yr garuntee thats it, man its over the yearso you free and clear. Me i prefer the tailight garuntee, when you cant see my tailights anymore the garuntee is over.
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I agree its 1 yr, but I can't believe she called and since my people skilled wore off long time ago and she is a nice lady how would you tell her? I' probably go the SOL route with a few yo momma thrown in but if any one can think of a kind way I would appreciate it

7. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

How 'bout... Sorry Mrs so-and-so.. we can only guarantee the plants for a year.

If that's not enough say it's because that's as long as our supplier will gaurantee them for.

Maybe you can offer her a discount for new plantings?
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

No way would I replace them. My guarantee is for the season (year) that they are planted. Anything after that they have to pay.
  9. jbt

jbt LawnSite Member

What did you tell the customer about a gurantee? Only back plants for a year if you maintain the location
  10. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

Cut her slack on installation if you feel bad but dont do it for free.