Gutsy Marketing Strategy?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Cut-Rite2, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Cut-Rite2

Cut-Rite2 LawnSite Member

I've been working a subdivision in my area where a lot of new homes are going up. I put doorhangers out 3 weeks ago, and I have been getting calls coming in intermittently. Friday I signed on a new customer and they paid me in advance for the first cut. Well, the next day, some scrubs came to the house and while the owner was out, cut their lawn (half-assed job by the way), left a card in the door, expecting the owner to sign up with them. Fortunately, the customer remained loyal to me.

My question is......is this a technique anyone else here would use? Personally, I think cutting someone's lawn without asking first is pretty aggressive, and if they damaged something in the process, I wonder if they would have left a card in the door!!
    :dizzy:

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Not only gutsy, but stupid.

3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I would think it would fall under tresspassing. If it were me I would call or meet face to face with this moron and confront him. What a dork! we do enough stuff for free let alone mow the whole damn yard! :realmad:

4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Cut-Rite2,

I would think this has a great potential to upset the home owner. I have never heard of anyone dong this before.

5. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

There's a guy down my street that one year he blew the snow off my neighbours driveway without permission, then went to the door with his hand out expecting to get paid for it. When my neighbour said NO, the guy says but I've already cleared all of the snow off the driveway. My neighbour replied "I like to shovel so PUT IT BACK".

6. Cut-Rite2

Cut-Rite2 LawnSite Member

Thanks for your feedback. I don't know about the customer, but if it had been my lawn, I would have been pi$$ed, especially since the so-called "free cut" was not a very good job, and needed to be done again anyway.

7. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know how in Hades a lawn can be mowed without first speaking with the customer about the cut height they want and getting an idea of particular things they want done or definitely do not want done.

A caper like that scrub shows desperation and amateurism imho. I would consider it an invasion of my privacy and wouldn't pay the guy squat. I would also take inventory in the garage and shed.

The guy should advertise himself as the "Lawn Rapist."

8. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

When I was in Connecticut, it was not unusual for homeowners with unkempt lawns to come home to a nice professional mow and a bill courtesy of the neighborhood association.

9. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

In such a situation as that Pagefault, it seems that the homeowner would have agreed to and signed something when the property was purchased, or the agreement would be implicit in the covenants.

10. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

That is hilarious! Sounds like something I would say.