Gutter Clean Outs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rcav8er, Nov 19, 2002.

1. rcav8er

rcav8er LawnSite Member

Is there any type of device that can be connected to a Backpack blower to reach gutters from the ground?
    I'm not real big on doing second story work these day's. You know some of use arn't as young and let's say energetic as we used to be.
    I was thinking of trying to design something that might make this alittle easier, any ideas?

2. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

I tried an attachment once that hooked to your tube and you couls add sections as you needed more height. At the end was a bend with a narrow opening that allowed you to concentrat the airflow into the gutter.

PROS: Not many. Worked OK for single story or split level houses.
    Did keep your feet on the ground.

CONS: Hard to handle, You ran the trash up and down the gutters because you cannot see what you are doing.
    It made me really tired trying to keep the proper angle on the pipe to do a fair job.
    The trash, leaves, watter, sand, mud, worms and an occasional dead squirrel falls right down on top of you. I was so dirty by the time I was done that I didnt want to work anymore.

Thats was my experience and my opinion. Hope it helps!

3. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

I know Echo makes a gutter cleaning attachment, never tried it I sub out all my gutter cleaning. However I agree wth fireman wear a raincoat and a hardhat.

4. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Echo does make an attachement and I have considered purchasing it but have never seen a photo of one. Anyone know where I can find a photo of it on the Web? Dealer only has a number. No pictures.

Full raingear and a hardhat sound like a must for this. When blowing around a customers property I will sometimes blow up the downspouts just to be nice. Amazing what comes flying out of there. I do it when the owner is watching and then pick up the debris, only takes a minute and they feel like I am special (except when I leave a big glob sitting on the roof :)).

Keth

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I have taken a hose and attached it to a bent piece of tubing to flush the gutter and downspouts out so one doesnt have to leave the ground.

Just be prepared to rinse the sides of the bldg down shortly thereafter though -LOL!!!

6. rcav8er

rcav8er LawnSite Member

Yea I think you guy's are right about a rain coat and hard hat. I don't know whats worse climbing ladders or getting clonked on the head by a _issed of rodent.
    Someone must have come up with a reasonable way to accomplish this without killing yourself.

7. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

kutnkru,
    Try blowing up the downspout with your backpack blower to help make your tubing job faster. I had one where about a 15 lb chunk
    of gunk came flying out. Half of it landed on my head.

I now wear ski googles when I know it is going to be a bad one!!!

Keth

8. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

There is only one good way to do gutters.

be very carefull

I got the blower atatchment thing I've used it twice.

The first day I got it, and once more when I was doing a house with a really steep pitch roof.

Other than that I use the latter and a garbage bag. It's much faster to just stand on the roof and clean them out. I used to do construction so I don't mind the roof so much

9. Upkeeper Guy

Upkeeper Guy LawnSite Member

10. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the attachment that Echo makes. It cost about $30 and works ok provided that you don't have nice flower beds below. This thing will make one hell of a mess. I don't offer gutter cleaning unless I'm doing a leaf job at the same time. Plan on wear a raincoat or taking an extra towel and shirt with you.