Gutter cleaning a good service?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by stevenf, Sep 15, 2007.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Are most gutter cleaning jobs during the winter? Is there a high demand for this? Any info appriciated.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

- Are most gutter cleaning jobs during the winter?
    Year round, I think.

- Is there a high demand for this?
    Are you afraid of heights?
    Single story, no.
    Two story, whoa!

$100 an hour if you get it down right.
    Less if you don't feel like falling :laugh:

3. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

It's hit and miss. I don't charge by the hour but price the jobs most two storys are $85 but I have some that are $200.

It can be dirty work, you need at least a 32 foot ladder, and 20 ft ladder and even a 16 ft. (No point in getting a 28' and 24' because they are too close to being the same).

Most jobs I do are in spring and fall but we have 4 seasons here and snow season is 5 months long.

4. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

One thing to consider. WCB deems it illegal to climb above a one storey structure with a ladder and no tie off. Over one storey, you'll need a full body harness and a tie off on the roof.

KNOW YOUR SAFETY. Anyone doing this everday could be shut down and if an employee gets hurt.... you're probably out of business and sued from here to he**.

:)

5. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

I do alot of mine in the late fall and spring. It is a very messy job but is good money. like everyone else said you need a few ladders. Make sure you have a good ladder and not a shakey wooden one!

6. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

I've found that there's enough to keep you busy in this business without risking falling off a roof. I'll do it for my really good customers (more as a favor), but I don't advertise this service.

7. ExecutiveLawns

ExecutiveLawns LawnSite Member

I sell the gutter cleaning as an upsell to the normal lawn clean ups that we do in the spring and fall. It is usually an addition $50 charge added to the $39 per man hour for the lawn clean up. we just usually get up on the roof and blow the gutters out with a leaf blower but sometimes its too wet and you need to just do it by hand and bucket(which that take more time but your getting paid by the hour anyways) if you blow the gutters out when its all wet the leaves and muck usually finds itself back to teh side of the house and then you have a not so happy home owner.

8. scagwildcat

scagwildcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from nw. ct.

the only leaves i clean are on the ground, its not worth the risk!

9. crazymike

crazymike LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

use a good blower like a redmax and blow your brains out.

10. RegalLawnCare.Com

RegalLawnCare.Com LawnSite Member

I don't mess around with this work. It's too dangerous, and there a plenty of companies in my area that do gutter work only, and for a lower price than I want to do it for.