Gutter cleaning and leaf removal

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by superrman77, Aug 16, 2006.

1. superrman77

superrman77 LawnSite Member

Found this site after searching for a good forum on the internet.I am wanting to start a gutter cleaning a leaf removal service.I have not bought any equipment yet.I am just wondering what tools I need to buy to get into this.My wife is out of a job right now and I need to start making some more money.I enjoy the outdoors and have did yard work my whole life.I have the means to advertise and market for this.My wife has a four year degree in public relations and is very good at flyers, brochures, etc.I have a truck and the time for this.So if someone can help me out with a list I would greatly appreciate it.
  2. DylanK

DylanK LawnSite Member

bp blower, rakes, tarps, truck ... if you really want to get into it and have the dough, look into a push/walkbehind blower and a truck loader
  3. superrman77

superrman77 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply.I am going to start out slow and work my way up.I will probably buy a couple backpacks for starters.
  4. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

don't skimp on the bp bl;owrers. Get a commercial one. Buy a ebz8000. The most powerful back pack IMO. I do alot of leaf cleanups and haven;t needed a push blower until this year. Good luck LawnInOrder
  5. Sup3rman

Sup3rman LawnSite Member

everyone always says to use tarps for leaf cleanups.....I still don't see how they are so useful in the process? How do you guys use the tarps?
  6. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

What I do is line my Trailer with a tarp that is 10 x 16 (16 foot trailer). THen I blow or rake the leaves on another tarp and pull them to the trailer and dump the tarp in the trailer. Repeat until trailer is full or job is done. Then cover the leaves with another tarp to prevent littering fines. Go to dumping location remove covering tarps, then lower gate, and pull the bottom tarp out of trailer and then get in truck and go to next job.... Good Luck
  7. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 LawnSite Member

What has not been mentioned thus far, is the need for a good insurance policy. Any time your business takes you onto a ladder or a roof, the liability premium goes up. Just ask a roofer or tree man. Having good equipment is one thing, having a good liabilty coverage is quite another. Good Luck.
  8. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

i also do what 2men does with leaf clean easy