1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Gutter cleaning

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jcoat, Apr 27, 2000.

1. jcoat

jcoat LawnSite Member

Guys,<br> Do any of you offer gutter cleaning as part of the &quot;maintenance&quot; aspect of your businesses? I'm doing maintenance small time (second source of income) and wondered if you have the blowers doing double-duty as a gutter vac. It seems like another source of income since you already have the blower/vac!

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

for those grass cutters that aren't covered up, cleaning gutters is a great thing to do. often, I clean my mowing customers gutters. that's pure profit since you are already there!<p>this time of year I keep the 24 foot ladder on the trailer. lots of times the neighbors will spot the &quot;yard man&quot; cleaning gutters and you can get more than one customer without even moving the truck.<p>for gutters that take about 20 minutes to clean, I ask about 35 bucks.<p>I don't usually use special tools. sometimes I walk the roof an blow the leaves out, but mostly I clean 'em by hand.<p>good luck.<p>GEO

3. Hello:<p>I cleaned most of my customers gutters, but I used a ladder like Geogunn does. It makes the work look harder & the customers want you to work hard. LOL, for some reason it makes them feel better!<p>If it looks very easy, they will do it themselves or they will replace you.<p>I always tried to figure out ways to offer as many services as possible to my customers, so it would make it harder for them to replace you.<p>Also smaller customer base & more profit per trip. That's the name of the game in this business!<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

4. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

i once worked for a guy that offered this service twice a year to all his yearly contrac people, im glad you brought it up cause it reminded me aboutit i think i will add that into my yearly contract sales pitch to all my &quot;by the cut customers&quot;, thank you<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida

5. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

I JUST DID THIS FOR A CUSTOMER LAST WEEK!NOW HE WANTS ALL OF HIS TREES TRIMMED AWAY FROM AROUND THE HOUSE$$$$,I ALSO KEEP A HANDYMAN LICENSE CURRENT SO I DO A LOT OF LITTLE FIX-ITS$$$$.<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

followup to previous post.<p>yes...cleaning gutters can land you mowing jobs. it's good business!<p>GEO

7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I do a little for those who ask, I try not to offer more than I have to for production purposes. I charge one guy 10.00 extra for it because it takes a little extra time.<p>Homer

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I used to take all but learned from a SIGN only to do some. I now will only do 1 story asphalt shingled roofs of slight pitch. <br>3 years ago I was up on a top of a 2 1/2 story cedar shake roof. It was dry and it hadn't rained in over a week so I was &quot;safe&quot;. 10 feet below me was a porch roof with 5 skylights spaced evenly over 30 feet or so. Below that (ground floor 25 feet from roof) was a concrete patio and inground pool. So I was earning my $50.00 on the very top, backpack blower doin a job when it found some water in the gutters. The water sprayed up and before I could blink I was sittin on my ass, 10 feet below where I was (middle floor) precicely in between 2 skylights. Luckily I came to a stop. After the job was done, which was that moment, I got down and cut the skidmark out of my underwear. I then thanked the Lord and all of my deceased relatives that they did not want to see me that day and I never took another cedar roof or 2 story roof again.<br>Make money - stay in 1 piece. Becareful. Good Luck.

9. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Mow Ed <br> I bet that puckered up the seat covers ! :) I don't like heights.<p>Karl<br>

10. jcoat

jcoat LawnSite Member

Thanks a lot for the responses. I may have to check into the handyman license too! This forum is great and I've learned tons of pointers from some &quot;top dawgs.&quot;