Gutter cleaning

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jcoat, Apr 27, 2000.

1. jcoat

jcoat LawnSite Member

Guys,<br> Do any of you offer gutter cleaning as part of the &quot;maintenance&quot; aspect of your businesses? I'm doing maintenance small time (second source of income) and wondered if you have the blowers doing double-duty as a gutter vac. It seems like another source of income since you already have the blower/vac!

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

for those grass cutters that aren't covered up, cleaning gutters is a great thing to do. often, I clean my mowing customers gutters. that's pure profit since you are already there!<p>this time of year I keep the 24 foot ladder on the trailer. lots of times the neighbors will spot the &quot;yard man&quot; cleaning gutters and you can get more than one customer without even moving the truck.<p>for gutters that take about 20 minutes to clean, I ask about 35 bucks.<p>I don't usually use special tools. sometimes I walk the roof an blow the leaves out, but mostly I clean 'em by hand.<p>good luck.<p>GEO

3. Hello:<p>I cleaned most of my customers gutters, but I used a ladder like Geogunn does. It makes the work look harder & the customers want you to work hard. LOL, for some reason it makes them feel better!<p>If it looks very easy, they will do it themselves or they will replace you.<p>I always tried to figure out ways to offer as many services as possible to my customers, so it would make it harder for them to replace you.<p>Also smaller customer base & more profit per trip. That's the name of the game in this business!<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

4. cjcland

cjcland LawnSite Senior Member

i once worked for a guy that offered this service twice a year to all his yearly contrac people, im glad you brought it up cause it reminded me aboutit i think i will add that into my yearly contract sales pitch to all my &quot;by the cut customers&quot;, thank you<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida

5. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

I JUST DID THIS FOR A CUSTOMER LAST WEEK!NOW HE WANTS ALL OF HIS TREES TRIMMED AWAY FROM AROUND THE HOUSE$$$$,I ALSO KEEP A HANDYMAN LICENSE CURRENT SO I DO A LOT OF LITTLE FIX-ITS$$$$.<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

followup to previous post.<p>yes...cleaning gutters can land you mowing jobs. it's good business!<p>GEO

7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I do a little for those who ask, I try not to offer more than I have to for production purposes. I charge one guy 10.00 extra for it because it takes a little extra time.<p>Homer

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I used to take all but learned from a SIGN only to do some. I now will only do 1 story asphalt shingled roofs of slight pitch. <br>3 years ago I was up on a top of a 2 1/2 story cedar shake roof. It was dry and it hadn't rained in over a week so I was &quot;safe&quot;. 10 feet below me was a porch roof with 5 skylights spaced evenly over 30 feet or so. Below that (ground floor 25 feet from roof) was a concrete patio and inground pool. So I was earning my $50.00 on the very top, backpack blower doin a job when it found some water in the gutters. The water sprayed up and before I could blink I was sittin on my ass, 10 feet below where I was (middle floor) precicely in between 2 skylights. Luckily I came to a stop. After the job was done, which was that moment, I got down and cut the skidmark out of my underwear. I then thanked the Lord and all of my deceased relatives that they did not want to see me that day and I never took another cedar roof or 2 story roof again.<br>Make money - stay in 1 piece. Becareful. Good Luck.

9. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Mow Ed <br> I bet that puckered up the seat covers ! :) I don't like heights.<p>Karl<br>

10. jcoat

jcoat LawnSite Member

Thanks a lot for the responses. I may have to check into the handyman license too! This forum is great and I've learned tons of pointers from some &quot;top dawgs.&quot;