gutter cleaning?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by plantzpropertymanagement, Mar 3, 2006.

1. plantzpropertymanagement

plantzpropertymanagement LawnSite Member

just wondering how you guys clean gutters if you do?

2. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

gutters suck for the most part. Unless it's a new house with few trees I would avoid them. My first year I did gutters, what a mistake. So many times the house looked great from the outside, only to climb up the ladder and find the gutters were never cleaned in 10+years. Light debris can be removed by using the hand blower while on the ladder on laying down on the roof. But most times you have to clean out by hand/water hose. Another point, on those nice warm sunny days in spring, the gutters are usually frozen rock solid.

3. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

Ladder, scoop, 16 ft slider pole with gutter getter on the end, bucket.

Place ladder once, pull it all to you, do 30ish foot without having to move the ladder over and over.

If you can walk the roof and scoop.

(you could use a blower but if you go that route and you damage the shingles you could have a big mess on your hands)

Most i don't rinse, try and add the bulb type gutter strainers for $5 a piece (nice add on they are around $1 a piece) Make sure downspouts are clean (I give a free downspout unclog for 6 months)

Charge accordingly!!! Don't low ball this job, anytime you use a ladder or are off the ground price goes up!!!

Good base to go by $.50 - $1.00 a foot (sometimes more)

Remember they want you risking your neck up there so they dont have to, most will pay!

I'd do just gutters if i could line them up enough...

Good luck!
    All_Clear

4. All_Clear

Use the right tool for the job, you wouldnt use a 21" push mower to mow 5ac.

If your serious about gutters, find a kit for cleaning them... some home depot and lowes ect... sell things just for this.

Also you should always look to see what kind of debris there is before giving a quote...

It's easy enough to clear $100 an hr doing gutters.....

Most of all make sure your covered by ins. (you may not be covered for ladder work, check with your agent)

All_Clear

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

We custom make the "gutter getter" but other than that we are the same as all clear. Biggest hassle is moving the ladder. I do not get the light ones, only the 300+ and at 40foot it is very heavy. I hate to have 2 guys on the job when most of the time only 1 is working but for safety we do. We do not go higher than 40'

6. All_Clear

" We custom make the "gutter getter" "

Would you mind explaining or sending me a picture... (all_clear@msn.com)

I have used the gutter getter scoops and gutter grabber.... I bought one of the 16 foot slider poles for windows but when i quit doing those i realized it was perfect for doing 30+ feet of gutters at a time. (i use a 32 ft ladder if it doesnt reach i'm not doing it, unless they want to pay rental fee for a bucket)

All_Clear

7. plantzpropertymanagement

plantzpropertymanagement LawnSite Member

thanks for the feed back that really helps

8. SPLC

SPLC LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

I typically just use a backpack blower along the gutter walking on the roof. Nothing escapes that force!

I'll have to check into a "gutter getter" though. Pics to Lawnman323@aol.com if you could.

Nice tip in pricing, that helps.

9. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

Different strokes for different folks. You guys can have my gutters. Regardless of the "tool" used, I just hate them. Heights also give me problems. Liability, power lines, rotten wood on houses, just scare me away from the start. Yeah, people usually pay what you quote, can make $$ on them, I just prefer to CUT, EDGE and TRIM all for one low price of $17.00 most lawns.

10. All_Clear