gutter cleaning

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jarroo's lawncare, Jun 8, 2006.

1. jarroo's lawncare

jarroo's lawncare LawnSite Member

who here offers gutter cleaning as one of their services. i do not offer and don't plan on it either. i hate standing on a ladder and scooping a stagnated mess out with my hands. the reason i am asking is that gutter cleaning is one of the things included in a contract that i have. turns out my dad who put the bid in on this place failed to inform me that he included this in the contract. i guess that is what i get for not handling my own business deals.

2. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I do, and I find it very profitable and relatively easy on roofs that you can stand on. I hop up there with my BP blower and I have them cleaned out in no time. You can even use your blower to blow down the downspouts to make sure that they are clear. The only time that the blower is not a good choice is if the gutters have standing water in them and the siding on the house is light colored. Be sure to rake up the mess on the ground when you get done. I'm in and out of the average sized home in less than and hour.

3. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

By the way, I have the same blower you do. Great reliable blower and works great for this. Husqvarna 2 stroke is the best.

4. jarroo's lawncare

jarroo's lawncare LawnSite Member

i also just bought a maruyama bl8100 it works awesome.

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I clean gutters when asked but don't advertise it.

there is huge money in it for little time. usually while cleaning the gutters on one house, the owner is in there calling every one on the street lining you up more houses.

I have a small rake like tool about 4 feet long that extends the reach and I wear latex gloves while dropping the crud in plastic bags.

put up the ladder, pick up bags and stuff them in the customer's trash, hold out hand and you are set to go.

GEO :waving:

6. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

Well here's my honest opinion... (I started my business cleaning gutters only, did this part time for 2 yrs)

Using a backpack or any type blower is ok... if your going to have to clean the rest of the property. (you also need to be very careful that your not lifting shingles with the air, because if they get a roofing guy to say damage was caused by the high powered blower, you could find yourself liable for any damage, possibly a new roof) Now if your not you just made twice the work and your moving the leaves and junk more then you have to.

There are gutter cleaning scoops, poles etc... out there. I use an ext. pole that i org bought for window cleaning but found it with a gutter grabber end, I can clean 30-32 ft of gutters without moving the ladder every 5-10 feet, bring it all to you, scoop to the bucket. I only do it this way with the ones that i can't walk the roof. Otherwise scoop and bucket.

I don't rinse unless the customer is dead set on it, which i charge more for.
    Gutter guards removed and replaced cost extra.
    My min. is $50 no matter what. It's not uncommon to make $100 an hour.
    Around here you can make about $.75 - $1.00 per foot.
    Adding gutter strainers (bulb type cost $1) at $5 a piece.

Here's a link of what i have used (i bought everything local tho)
    http://www.workingproducts.com/cgi-bin/wp/store/wp_testimonials.asp

Good luck!
    All Clear

7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd do it but I can't make it past the 4th step on a ladder :D yes fear of heights are bad with me.