gutter cleaning

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TPC Services, Jul 24, 2006.

1. TPC Services

TPC Services LawnSite Member

A friend of mine thaT is layed up with a double broken leg from the fire department, had a lady call him wanting him to clean her gutters. Since I have been helping him out with his lawns he asked if I would go talk to her. My problem is I never have clean gutters for any other clients so this would be the first. I do not have a sprayer to do it with and really do not want to go out and by one for this one time deal! there is not much there to do and I have no clue on what to charge her,I do not want to charge her to much because there could be future work for him and I. but I really do not see charging her for renting a power sprayer. most of them are like $50 to $60 to rent

Any help will be nice, I do not want to hurt his future company busness

2. Rickco

Rickco LawnSite Member

We clean all of our customers gutters as part of our fall clean up. You don't need a power washer,it will only make a big mess. All you need is a ladder and a 5 gallon bucket. Not sure about your rate but we charge $35 per Hr.Good luck.

3. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Ask Him what he charges. By the way $35.00 per hour is way too low.

4. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Yea, absolutely no need for a pressure washer to clean gutters, that might not be the safest way and it will make a big mess. Like said, take a bucket or trash bag and go along and just get the mess out by hand. I have a minimum of $40 and that usually takes me less than an hour

5. TPC Services

TPC Services LawnSite Member

off a ladder or by walking the edge of the roof along the gutter .also where talking 25' off the ground in the back 10/12 pitch

6. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

cleaning gutters adds a good amount of money to the invoices. It takes a few minutes all we do is take the redmaxx blow everything out the gutters and off the roof and blow it on the lawn then do our weekly maintenance

as long as it hasnt been 5 years since the last cleaning the leaves wont get the house nasty or anything. might sound a lil unprofessional to some of the uptight point dexters on this site but thats how every LCO , tree service, and only gutter companies do it as well but the ones without mowers just blow it into a pile and pick it up

7. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

I charge $1.00/ft...and get it...

8. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

For me best way to clean out gutters is to use my handheld blower.

9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

your insurance may not cover you doing this work... but as said a buck a foot, on the first story, and 2 a foot and higher is not uncommon, dont be too cheap, you will be sorry later... good luck