gutter cleaning

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Nov 16, 2003.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Guys, and Girls. I have a question for you. How Do you go about on pricing for cleaning gutters? Me and my crew have been pricing 1.00 a minute and some people seem to think that is steep. Please give me your opinions. Thanks.

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Hit the search button and type in "Gutter Cleaning". You'll find a lot of stuff in there about pricing it.

3. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

You're right on track, gutter cleaning is a pain. Not to mention the danger. We don't advertise for this service, and certainly don't skimp on the charges for doing it.

4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I go $2.00-$3.00 per minute depending on the property. I also reserve the right to say no......some houses are not worth it....too dangerous...

Derek

5. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

Given the fact that gutter cleaning does NOT require an $8,000 piece of equipment, and can *often* be done on a sufficient ladder without getting on the roof, I would venture to say you won't get many jobs at $60/hr.

But as mentioned it can be dangerous due to the fall potential.

So for that who don't want to pay a $60 or more /hr rate, perhaps you could refer them to the homeless shelter where they can find someone to do it for $8/hr with the homeowner's ladder, trash buckets, and tools. :D

Instead of an hourly I would try to determine a good average price per linear foot. And quote one price for the house/property. Then they hear the price and can compare it the value of someone ELSE doing it.

When you quote $60/hr to someone making $18/hr at the local chop shop, it's hard for them to picture the "gutter cleaner" making more than they do at their day job.

And they won't bother to compute the hourly when you tell them "$80 for the house".

You might also find out what local gutter shops charge to install new gutters or for repairs...

6. BravesFan

BravesFan LawnSite Member

Most single story houses, $69...most 2 stories $99.

my pricing.

If I can walk the single story...on and off the roof in 30-45 minutes. About an hour to hour and fifteen minutes for most 2 stories. Elaborate gutter schemes higher...also crazy looking slopes and hills MUCH higher. If I can see thnigs growing out of the gutter...will be higher as well.

Dennis

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I get about 10 to 20 bucks a side, depending on the length of the runs. I'm only doing houses that I can get right up on the roof and just walk down with my blower. It only takes just a couple of minutes, and it's fast, easy money. This is the first step in the Fall cleanup process.

8. BravesFan

BravesFan LawnSite Member

Anyone have a hydraulic lift they use for gutter cleaning?

Those things serve all sorts of purposes...

trees, gutters, painting, powerwashing, etc.

D

9. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

I guess there is also something to be mentioned about "what is guttter cleaning?"

-Running the blower along the gutter.
    -Including a good wash-out with a water hose.
    -Getting all the kid toys jammed in there from a summer of throwing stuff onto the roof(one reason why I don't advise small rocks in lawns with kids). "Here are 10 tennis balls I found..."

-Getting all the grit from composite shingles OUT to prevent slow flow....

And then those darn screen leaf guards that are suppose to work much better than they really do.....:mad:

10. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We charge $.50lft for single stories, and $ 1.00lft for 2 stories.We also offer vinyl gutter guard in 3' sections installed at the same time for $ .69 per lft.I'd like to find the guy who invented that bird netting they call gutter guard.If people have that stuff wire tied to the gutters, and don't want it removed to upgrade to vinyl, we don't do it.Too much of a pain to clean especially if there is sludge buildup, etc..