1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gutter Cleaning?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BrandonH, May 10, 2004.

1. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

I had a customer ask me the other day if I cleaned gutters...I told her that I would think about it and get back to her. I'm a little on the slow side as far as business goes right now, so I hate to turn down any work. I'm curious as to what is the best way to approach a job like this and how much should I charge. The house is just one story and the roof isn't very steep all the way around. I would have to say there is roughly 380 feet of gutters. Thanks in advance for any input.

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

380 feet of gutters would take me about 10 minutes. Depending on what blower you have just climb on the roof and blow all that stuff out of there. Typically for a job like that I would charge 30-35 bucks if it's not too muddy in there. I've got a Echo pb650, so nothing will stand in its way.
  3. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I do it about the same way as jwingfield, but before I blow out the gutters I try to pull out and bag all of the large stuff like the leaves, that way I don't end up having to clean it off the ground once its out of the gutters.

Price would be in the $35-$40 area.
  4. The C Man

The C Man LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

380 feet??? Maybe it's just me but that sounds like a LOT. Even if the house was perfectly square you're talking about almost a 100'x100' house.
  5. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member

I do it as part of my spring/fall clean-up. For some reason people really hate doing it, and it turns into a deal maker. I pick it up by hand and bag it so I do not have to clean it up twice. As for price I use 1/2 hour at my mowing rate included in the lump sum for the clean-up.
  6. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of using the blower and just blow everything into the lawn. Once out I can see if it needs to be picked up or just mulched up with mower.

The C Man,

380 feet does seem like a lot, but we're talking about the entire house as well as a pretty good size garage that is attached via breezeway.

7. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

I agree with Wells. It is easier to go up there with a garbage bag and just pull the stuff out and put it into the bag. It saves the time in having to mulch the stuff.

If the customer has nice beds then you run the risk of blowing the stuff off the roof and into the beds. It just creates a little more work. Some stuff as it is falling down could end up coming back and make the side of the house dirty.

What I do is bring up an old paint brush, usually around 4" wide or so. I use the brush to sweep all the stuff down toward the downspout and just use my hand and grab it as I go along and throw it into a garbage bag. This seems to clean the gutter really good.
  8. PowerPro

PowerPro LawnSite Member

I clean them out by hand, I figure how long I think it will take me and then set my price by figuring $50 an hour, sometimes I get it wrong and only make about $30-$40 an hour and sometimes I come out like a bandit and make $70-$80 an hour, so in the end it all evens out.

9. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

I don't step on a roof for less than $50.00. I do it the same as Wells, and sometimes stick a hose down the downspout.

A few times I've got extra work by adding drain pipes away from the house, charge by the hour then...$30.00
  10. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i worked for a gutter cleaner in the off season. the most effecient method is to run water in the gutters and collect @ the downspouts, just make piles on the yard by the downspouts then climb down and rake them up. after i bought my blower i assumed it'd just be easier to bring it up on the roof or bring a bag or bucket, but trust me, the float and toss method is the fastest way to do it. the less you bring on the roof the better.