GUTTER CLEANING????????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Any of you guy's/gal's offer this service? If so how much do you charge? Doing my own I just get on the roof and use my hand-held blower and blow them out. Any advice on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mowman

2. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

Only when I have to.
    And I won't get on a steep roof or a really high one.
    The least I charge would be $35 and most around $65. This assume the gutters will clean using the BP blower. I usually carry one of the hand held pick-up gadgets as it helps get sticks, etc from the gutter without having to bend over with the BP on.
    Cleve....

By the way, there is a down-side to using a blower to clean gutters. It will push some material over the back of the gutter and some things like pinestraw will tend to collect there. Even enough to hang down from the back side of the gutter. Then you end up having to pry out the gutter on occasion to clean this out.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

found this thread on gutters:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=6165

We do not go out and advertise this service to attract new customers. But if one of our elderly customers ask us to clean their gutters, it is easy money and we will not turn it away.

4. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

I have offered this serv for several years,
    If I do it for existing cust. it is $25.00 if non cust.
    min is $35.00. I use BP blower

5. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

I do this service for about a third of my cuctomers. Residentials are $50 for a single story and $80 fo a second. Commercial roofs are usually $100 unless their flat. We use the handhelds for roofs because BP's are hidderance to your balance. Russ

6. Hello Everybody:

If it could be blown out only, we charged $25 mim. If it had to be dug out by hand $35 to $50 min.

If it was 2 story house blow out only, we charged $85 min. If it had to be dug out by hand a min. of $125 & we loved every one of them.

After getting burned on 3 different slate roofs & we only did 3 of them. We refused to do them. One of them they waited 2 years before they complained. We got paid on the spot but they called later saying their roof leaked. 1 of them we never got on the roof. We used ladders & neighbor talked & watched us the whole time, because he wanted to do his own. The neighbor saved us on that one.

Let somebody else do them. We knew what we were doing too! I went & talked to people that install them. They told us how to do them & we are sure there was no damage.

7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We offer this service late in the fall and before the frosts hit hard. Most roofs we can walk along the edge with a bp blower and then hose them out afterwards. For those roofs that cannot be done this way we use fiberglass ladders with stabilizers attatched and them just work our way along the edge accordingly. These gutters do not get washed out just the downspouts.

As far as marketing goes we always do this for cash so we think of things in multiples of dollar bills when pricing. The most productive way we have found is three man crews. One guy will cold canvas the neigborhood and put a big black "x" across a fert tag and then we know who to hit and who to skip. We average about 5 houses per hour this way and usually gross in excess of $250/hr. We try to charge right around the $50 mark and often wind up getting closer to $60. (they usually hand us three 20's and consider it money well spent)

Our pitch man will tell customers that we are from Pro Turf Landscaping and are in the neighborhood cleaning gutters for our clients today and that we are taking the time out for others that wish to take advantage of this services also. He then incorporates the risks associated into his 25 second speal:
    >>falling off the roof
    >>death by electrocution
    >>interior damage caused by displaced shingle aggregate clogging the systems
    >>etc etc etc

Sorry so winded,
    Kris

8. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

on steep roofs forget the ladder. use 10ft
    sections of alum downpout with double 45s on end
    duck tape seams. at the bottom attach a 45 elbow
    with adapter that hooks up drain tube. the
    rectangular end becomes round and you can put the
    end of your blower in it and never get off the ground

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

For regulars 15 for a 10 min blow out.
    Others vary according to job

10. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

Kris, wow thanks for the inside scoop. I'm totally going to try this next fall. I had just been doing gutters for my customers, but your method sounds great. Do you ever pick up lawn contracts that way? I don't think we can get $50 for gutters down here though. Do you live near the city or is this the going rate?