gutter guards

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by seasonscape, Nov 25, 2001.

1. seasonscape

seasonscape LawnSite Member

for those of you who clean gutters (already read all the debates about it) what are your opinions on gutter guards. got a customer who i cleaned gutters out for last week. he asked me for a price on installing gutter guards. told him i've only ever seen one design that i thought works and would recommend to him (don't know what brand and neither does the homeowner that has them). haven't been able to find it and not sure what to do about it now (recommend none or recommend another design/brand). figured i'd check with you guys to see your opinions.

2. G.Williams

G.Williams LawnSite Member

I can't stand gutter guards, period. I haven't found a type yet that i like.

3. seasonscape

i hear you on this, they're usless, except this one...that's why i'm wondering everyone's opinion if i can't find this one style...they really worked! there was a large pine tree above and no needles even got stuck in them...if i can't find them i guess i'll recommend none

on another note:
    i really can't understand these people that get gutter guards installed and then still want their gutter(guards) cleaned...oh well, i guess i shouldn't complain if you wanna throw money away as long as i'm involved!!!

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Tell them to forget the gutter guards. They, in the long run, contribute to the clogging of the downspouts. The still hold stuff on top, and the roof is still full of debris. Keep selling them the annual cleanout, assure them then, that their eves will always be working properly, and reap the benefits of the work. Bottom line: gutter guards don't work.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If you think that gutter gaurds don't work then you haven't checked out some of the new ones. I am currently selling and installing a very nice vinyl gaurd that works very well. It has a low lip that clips the lip of the gutter firmly and it has a double row of openings for the water to run into. My cost on this is $1.25 a foot and I sell it for $3.00 a foot.

6. seasonscape

Richard Martin

if u don't mind i'd appreciate some more info on these, website or something...that cost is installed?

7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Home Depot sells a galvanized one that clips onto the gutter, you can flip them over to clean out if needed. I haven't tried these ones yet but I have cleaned the ones that spring into place and they are a pain.

8. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

that work are the flat vinyl ones that Richard Martin spoke of a few posts back.

I've tried 3 and thats the only kind I've seen work. I didn't do the install though, but it looked easier than the other 2 that I have done the installs.

I've tried the plastic crap thats in a roll that you roll out along the gutter and fasten. I've also tried the metal ones that clip on and then flip up.

You still have crap get in there, and you get buildup on the roof because they are not very flat.

I'd be intrested to hear more about Richards little niche in the gutter guard market...;)

9. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got back from installing some today. I installed the white vinyl ones that cost $.79 a section (3ft.). I had to trim the width of it down a little with snippers, but easy to install. I havn't ever had complaints about them not working. On my house, I just clean them out, but if you have hard to reach gutters, I would install them.

10. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I have thought about trying to upgrade clients to these:
    http://www.rainhandler.com/

I figure they will save the hassel of gutter cleaning in the fall. The droplets falling onto the beds would aid in the watering process instead of diverting a valuable element away from the landscape. :)

Kris