1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Gutter Installation/Contractors?????????

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jrock32, Dec 30, 2006.

1. jrock32

jrock32 LawnSite Member

I know this is a landscape forum, but I couldn’t find anywhere else to start. I’m an old LCO who sold his company a year ago and looking into another business venture. I’m located in the St. Louis area and thinking of getting into the gutter business. We have a lot of hail and windstorms in this area and think it could be a lucrative business. Plus, new constructions seems to be on an up swing.
    I’ve found 5" -6" gutter machines, new and used ranging anywhere from $3000-$12,000.00. I have a truck and enclosed trailer, but need a machine, material, stands, tools, etc.....
    What would my start up cost be? Is there a high profit margin? Any idea of material cost per foot and what a ballpark charge per foot is in my area or yours?
    Any and all help/suggestions would be appreciated.

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know but the guys doing the "gutter helmet, leaf guard, etc" type of installs seems to be the hot seller in my state right now. They advertise heavily on radio and in the papers. I don't know if you buy a franchise or can go about it independently.

3. jrock32

jrock32 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. Im more interested in installing the actual gutter. The leaf gaurd/gutter helmet, would be something I would get into a few months down the road. Or sooner if there is a high demand.

4. CSALawnServiceInc

CSALawnServiceInc LawnSite Member

I install gutter as a day job while I'm building my Lawn business. Gutter installation requires a good deal of knowledge about aluminum and also alot of liability is taken on with the installs. I am familiar with the Florrisant area of St. Louis and yes there is money to be made in gutters but just be sure that you can make the installs right. Good luck with your decision and try to up sell to 6" only to make more profit.

Craig

5. jrock32

jrock32 LawnSite Member

What selling techniques do you use to up sell to a 6". I that steep roofs should go with 6", but what benefits does a 5" have over the 6" on a standard pitch? Thanks for the information, ya'll have been great.

6. CSALawnServiceInc

CSALawnServiceInc LawnSite Member

First of all, if you only sell 6", then you only need one machine. The machines that do both 5" and 6" are hard to switch back and forth and tend to get out of adjustment. You are correct about the steel roof, they definitely need 6" gutter. the benefits for 6' are the bigger the gutter the more it holds. (obviously) Also use 3x4 downspouts to get the water off the roof faster and also more profit for you. The standard I saw when in St Louis was 5" gutter with 2x3 downspouts so you may have to just stick with 5" if people are resistant to the up sell to 6". Do some research in your area and see what other companies are selling. Also learn how to do hand miters and stay away from box/ strip miters. They are weak and will leak. Good luck with it.

Craig

7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Yah, same thing here. I'd bet those guys get most of the new business around here. Most people already have gutters. What they want are gutters that don't ever get clogged. And they are willing to pay top dollar for it.

My office manager just paid some serious bucks to have some installed on his house this year. I was amazed at how much money they made for what was a relatively small and quick job.

8. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

Great money in gutters if you own a machine, Gutter guards are a pita and I dont install them. Keep in mind all the materials that you need for gutter installation

gutter coils
    gutter brackets
    nails
    inside/outside miters
    end caps
    zip screws
    gutter seal
    downspout caps
    trim coils (for flashing)
    downspouts

another way to make more profit is to buy an elbow machine, if you dont have or want to get one add A & B elbows to the above list