1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gutters and leaf blowers

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by johnrussell, Jun 18, 2008.

1. johnrussell

johnrussell LawnSite Member

i have a ranch style house and there are leaves and debris that get into the gutters ... I am working on a longer term solution to that problem, but short term I need to keep the gutters free of debris. This past year I used my Echo PB400e and climbed up on the roof to blow them out ... worked fine.

I am looking for an option where I don't have to use a backpack blower on the roof, so I am thinking of getting a handheld to clean out the gutters and then my wife can use it to blow off the deck and walkway too :)

My power equipment dealers sell Stihl, Shindaiwa, echo, and some Honda equipment. My default choice is the BG85 because of my local dealer and the power of the unit.

Anything else I should consider ....?
  2. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I was sort of in the same boat in that I had a good quality backpack blower (Redmax 7001) and because of that had been resisting getting a 2-cycle hand held. I didn't think I'd ever use the hand held much, but after I finally did buy one (Redmax HBZ260) I find I use it much more frequently than the backpack. Buy whatever hand held you like as soon as you can. You'll be glad you did. Both of my Redmax are great, by the way.
  3. hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr LawnSite Senior Member

4. johnrussell

I looked at those and they might work for some but not all of my gutters--- I still have to get on the roof so a handheld is still under consideration.
  5. lawnmon

lawnmon LawnSite Member

I've had a BG85 for several years and really like it. I think it has great power. I bought a BR600 a year or so after the BG85 and at first I regretted having spent the money on the BG85, figuring that I would just use the BR600 all the time. Well, even though I like my BR600, the BG85 gets used all then time. I now only use the BR600 in the fall for leaves and when I want to show it off to the neighbors.

Oh, the BG85 starts easily so you would feel safe starting it on a roof.
  6. johnrussell

I bought the BG85 ... it is not a backpack, but it worked well for blowing off the deck and driveway and I expect it will do fine for a large percentage of what I do with my Echo PB400. That machine will come out in the fall when there are lots of leaves to move into piles.
  7. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

whats a gutter,isn't that to catch that thing they call rain.we don't have either enough to talk about.sorry i cant help.
  8. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe Echo offers a gutter kit for their backpack blowers. Better to buy that than spend $$$ on a new unit.
  9. johnrussell

the gutter kit is supposed to work up to ten feet ... I have gutters higher than that, so I need something more than the gutter kit. I have not used the Stihl on the roof yet, but tomorrow is the day.