Gutters

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by cutemhigh, Dec 15, 2007.

1. cutemhigh

cutemhigh LawnSite Member
    from 44060

Its early, Im bored, so here's a dumb post. Skip it if you wish.
    The topic is gutters. I have worked for 3 of this areas "top" landscape companies, all with 5 crews or more. I have never seen or heard (until I got here) of landscapers cleaning gutters. Aint no way I am going on anyones roof to clean gutters. I read about guys charging a dollar a foot..but I just dont think youll be seeing me on any roofs ('cept my own) cleaning gutters.

2. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I do a few but not alot. It is something to do for the client i guess. One of those services that add "value" type of thing. If I do gutters, I take up the blower and generally that does the job, unless the downspout is clogged.

Charging, I may add an extra $25 - $50 to the bill. I don't charge / ft cuz i am taking the time to measure everything. For us, 10 - 15 minutes and $50 later, it is easy.

3. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

The main reason I don't do it is because of the fall risk. I cleaned them when I first started out, but then I needed any work I could get. Anyone could get hurt at any time doing lawn work. But being on a roof increases the risk of injury and also increaes the risk of more serious injuries if an accident should happen. I tend to always be on the cautious side. If we are laying in a bed for 6-8 weeks we are out of business (unless you have crew working for you).

4. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I had this old lady that wanted me to blow off he roof and clean the gutters. I simply told her I only do lawn care and I'm not insured to go on her roof. I see a few guys around here that repair windows wash cars etc. To me thats a waste of time.

5. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Well my first couple of years in business I did odd jobs. But now that I have built up a good customer base, it would be crazy for me to wash cars and clean gutters, etc...I never liked that stuff anyway.

6. Pflat1

Pflat1 LawnSite Member

Ok :confused:

7. macaw

macaw LawnSite Senior Member

8. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

It works if all it has to do is removing a few dry leaves...
    When was the last time you had to clean gutters which only had a few dry leaves in them? :laugh:
    Save your money for a :drinkup:

9. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

We do a few for our customers most are elderly and dont have anyone to do it for them. They are willing to pay for the service because they know the risk we are taking as well. We use back packs and done in a few minutes. We dont go on two levels homes thou.