Guy wants cheaper price after getting a pool

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Mar 30, 2006.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

This customer Ive had for a couple years now calls me and sais "Ive just had a pool put in, can you come over and give me a new price for mowing?" I said ok. So today I am in his neck of the woods and stop by. He has a new pool, fence, bunch of new beds and about 12 pine trees scattered out in his back yard so I uped his price $10 over last year. He calls tonite and cant beleive it costs more. He said that he spent $30 grand "making it easier for me to mow with less grass, I should be cheaper now". :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  2. FSully

FSully LawnSite Member

Translation......he spent $30k that he can't afford and now needs to save every penny he can.
  3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

OMG !!! I can't believe you would not lower your prices when he just spent all that money to make it easier for you....:hammerhead:

I have had 2 customers put in pools and the landfscaping around them and niether one of them asked if I would lower my prices. They both actually told me they were expecting a raise because of all the extra time cutting and extra trimming they created for me. It sure is nice having some quality customers that appreciate your hard work...:drinkup: Makes up for all the cheapskate penny pinching tightwads, that think you should mow, do their landscape maintenance, etc for nothing so they can enjoy the good life at your expense.
  4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I had a customer last year put in a pool and also fenced it in. He wanted me to lower the price but I told him with fuel on the increase and having to now switch mowers and use my walk-behind to fit into his gate the price would stay the same. He agreed and that was that.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I heard that, I've been giving out this year's prices left and right and it must be a surprise because not too many call me back so fast anymore. But I still got plenty of work and some customers upfronted a raise this year, offering to pay more without me even asking. Others readily agreed, one or two reluctantly but I didn't raise prices all across the board, either... Just the bottom of the barrel stuff got raised up a bit.

Higher prices sure divides those who are serious about lawncare from all the rest, I foresee a year with a minimum of pita work and if I lose a little money because the price is higher and I'm no longer running my machines into the dirt, I'll be better off in the long run.
    35 bucks is the least I get to drop the gate. An acre lot costs 60 bucks, cut and trim. And so on...
    Like they say, it hurts a bit at first.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If yu raised your price 10 bucks (atleast), you did well. That's alot more work for you.
  7. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I hate pools. I remeber last year I was shooting the grass away from the pool and a big gust of wind came and blew a bunch of grass in his pool. He wanted me to come clean out the pool:laugh:

TXLAWNBOY LawnSite Member

I agree PJ, I would raise the same $10 you did, that is alot more work. If he doesn't want to pay it let him find someone else. I had 2 cust. last year drop us for various reasons, both called back in the same week about a month later and asked to come back. I took them a higher price of course:weightlifter:.

Topsites, I agree about the higher prices, I don't leave to house for less the $35, and my one acre props. are alittle higher than yours like around $80. I have between 5-10 accounts that take me and a helper 15 mins. to mow,trim,edge, & blow and are all either next door to one another or real close by for $40.