guy wires for a storm damaged tree?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GarPA, Sep 28, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I rarely do any tree related work hence this simple ?
    Storm winds have bent a 12 foot blue sprice for a customer of mine. Tree trimmers would not even come out and look at it so cust. asked if I could stake it in order to keep it from falling over in next wind storm. I've done this kind of thing with smaller trees but not something this big nor a pine.

I was thinking about using some long rebar which can be pounded deep in soil and not wobble when the guy wires are installed.

Looking for some tips on how to get the wire snug enough to straighten the tree?? THen how do I "tie it off" at the stake so the wire stays taught? thanks much

ps I tried to log into ArbosistSite.com but theres something screwed up with my user id and password.

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Check out the "Duckbill" staking system. Work great and is better looking than rebar. It comes ina kit depending on the size tree.

3. GarPA

from PA

ken...do you know if these are sold in a specialty store or at someplace like Lowes?thanks

4. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

5. GarPA

from PA

The Rittenhouse place has some neat stuff there Ken...will for sure save this web address.

6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I just had to set up 4 20ft tall leyland cypresses that fell over during the hurricane last week. I used nylon rope, and 4 ft 2x2 wooden stakes ponded 3 ft in the ground. 2 stakes per tree and hose around tree trunk to protect from rope damage. Worked perfectly and trees straight as an arrow.

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Here is a site that has such stakes. Click on image for link.

[​IMG]

8. kevincook

kevincook LawnSite Member
    from ny

9. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't put any metal wire or cable around the trunk in a hose unless you have a guarantee to hold the account for about 2 years or more, or are willing to voluntarily come out every year to check it.

Try drilling and installing lag hooks or lag eyes directly into the tree.

If you drive metal, call in a utility line check first.

Personally, I don't believe in pulling trees straight again, I leave them as is and let them self correct at the top.

Hence my opinion on staking at www.mdvaden.com in the landscape advice section on staking trees.

Wood stakes should be okay, maybe better if no markers are put on the cable. The totally submerged anchors present a physical injury hazard if nothing is used to mark the location or the cables.

10. GarPA

from PA

Very impressive website you have Mario