Guys and their *pop-ups*

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Feb 8, 2009.

1. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

Good Idea

I was thinking about the water in the pipe before you wrote this,,This is also a problem in spring, summer, fall. If you have that elbow on there and the pop up that is a large amount of water still in the pipe. Thats a great breading ground for mosquito's. So draining the water out, not only helps with your freezing issue but will also help with the mosquito control.
    that amount of water can breed hundreds if not thousands of mosquito's a week.

2. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry but I have to say that we have being using this pop ups for the las couple years and if installed correctly you'll have no problem or even less than just daylighting the pipe, besides it looks better a flow-well would be my best suggestion for gutter tough.
    Just because you oppose to something you're not familiar with that doesn't mean it doesn't work and I use the phrase not familiar cause some of you guys have claimed you have never installed one.

3. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I totally agree with DVS, pop ups are junk. If I can't day light a drain pipe I put a tee fitting on the end of the line. The bottom of the tee dumps into a french drain. A pipe from the top of the tee goes to the lawn and is capped with a grate that is flush with the soil surface. If rainfall is so heavy that it overwhelms the french drain the excess will flow out through the grate and into the lawn.

If there are trees in the area there must be a screen between the gutter downspout and the drain pipe. Having the down spout spill onto a catch basin grate will do the trick.

The majority of pop ups that I have seen are broken because they stuck in the up position and were run over by a mower. Or they cracked due to frozen water that couldn't drain from the pipe.

PS For all those who are too lazy to dig a deep enough trench, a drain pipe with only one inch of soil on top is almost guaranteed to frost heave out of the ground.

4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Best place for the water to run is on top of the ground. Only since we have been building patios, and retaining walls are there needs for french drains and popups. If it were up to me I would just dig to the footing and tie in to the main line around the home. In our area this goes against by-law rules. So we use the stupid popups, and since all our ground is clay, it won't matter how deep you dig, it just fills up with water anyway and backs up. So in our case the pop ups work best because it just re-routes the water a bit further away from the house and past all the hardscaping we just installed. Yes they are a pain because a lawn mower has the tendency to suck up the valve.

5. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

Just tie into the down spouts.
    footer drain is too much work.

6. CertPro

CertPro LawnSite Member

A lot of newer homes don't utilize rain leaders to the street. In fact most just have spouting that spills onto a splash block next to the foundation

7. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

What down spouts. Here the water is dropped right at the foundation, so this is why we try to find a way to disperse the water. If we all had down spouts at the foundation we wouldn't be having this debate.

8. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

I was in a subdivision built in 07 (in Ajax, E of T.O. if that makes a difference) and the downspouts went underground. I didn't ask questions, just smiled because I hate drainage :D

9. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

One thing that surprises me is that most hardscape guys own a fancy smancy skid steer....but they don't have a trencher attachment!

Back in 2001 we bought a trencher for our skid steers. Back then paid around 3 grand for it. Thats one of the best investments made. Now, a trencher won't dig a pit for a dry well, but on the other hand we don't do many dry wells, maybe 1 to 2 a year, some years - zero. We can run down spout lines out and away from the dwelling and hardscape very inexpensively, no renting the machine, no rushing around to return it to the rental company.

10. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

So because I rent the trencher attachment that is a knock against me? Damn, not only do I install the pop-ups, I RENT the trencher. Is this a three strikes and you are out business?