1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Guys are getting stressed out with this weather...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, May 28, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

In the past few days I've talked with 3 different guys who are primarly mowing companies...each of them are big time stressed out with the backlog that keeps growing for add on jobs not to mention the fact that their mowing is getting behind and people are complaining.. One of these guys has been in this biz for 15 years and is a very laid back type of guy....I've never known him to lose his cool.....but man was he wound up yesterday (right after we had a cloudburst of 1.5 inches in an hour)....I'm a month behind on landscape work and wont accept new jobs unless the customer clearly ubderstands the situation that if it keeps raining a month could turn into 6 weeks....One funny customer said maybe I can do his mulching and edging when I pick up his leaves!!! The way we're going there might be a grain of truth in that. ...Man I hope this stagnant pattern changes.....maybe that heat out west will move East in the coming weeks
  2. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one behind. Yesterday I did some of last Friday's mowing. Two of them were so wet I sunk in just walking on them. The last customer I mowed yesterday told me she would rather see it high than cut wet. We haven't seen the sun since May 20. It has showered or rained every day since. Not all day affairs but enough to make a mess.
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Same Here In CT, I'm Building a Two Blower Bagger Just to Mow The Real Wet stuff.
    I Think Its Better than a Drought Thow!
  4. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Yes John I agree...its better than last years drought...much better.Yesterday I drove by a large residential where 2 guys were using 72 scags on about an acre of sloped turf...very high end property....the mud ruts they were leaving behind were downright awful...if I lived in that home there would be a back to Jesus meeting with the owner of that company...no excuse to ruin someones turf .
  5. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe I didn't explain that to clearly. The one's that were to wet to walk on didn't get cut either!!
  6. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I got my 52" WB stuck up to the mower deck yesterday. Sunk in immediately.
  7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

It has rained 24 of the last 28 days. I will still say rain is much better then a drought. Get done what you can and keep the customers in the loop as to what is happening.

8. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been doing my best to roll with the punches. Yes, there are lawns that have not been cut in almost 2 weeks but I would rather not cut them wet and leave a mess. I haven't really had many complaints, most people understand. I've been fortunate enough to be keeping my men busy on a retaining wall/landscape job.
    I've been doing this a long time and have been through tougher times. Don't get stressed out guys! It will work out.
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

lol! Glad others now see what I've been dealing with for over a year. What you are experiencing now is what we dealt with every single week for the entire season last year. Several times this year have been just as bad. What do you do? You deal with what you can. You stay in contact with customers to let them know you haven't forgot them, they will understand and appreciate the communication.
  10. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a lot of properties that are going to have to be mowed with a weedeater even if it stops rainig. I'll get as many bodies as I can with a weedeater and boots and go to town. I am so backlogged on pressure washing and staining decks that I just call customers and tell them I have no Idea when we can get there. I'll bet eventhough I called them, that the first sunny day they will call and ask If were doing their deck today. Worst year ever for April and May so far. At least in last years drought we could pressure wash.