Guys, are there any DOT laws or rules for...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by justmjc, Mar 12, 2004.

1. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

advertising on your truck or trailers? I mean can I make my advertisments as big as I want, or as many small ones as I want without regulation? I know this is a stupid question, but If I covered an entire trailer, does that pose a problem as long as the lights and trailer information are still visable? I've never heard of any. But has anyone else? Just wondering, because I have a plan....

2. Lawn277

Lawn277 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

The only law I am aware of in what shade of orange you can use.

3. justmjc

Thanks for the quick reply. If there are any color or other conflicts, where can I find this information out at? They have material on this or just call the DOT?

4. Lawn277

Lawn277 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Each state is different, I would just place a call to your state DOT, Ill bet they even got a website. Im sure they will help you. They will even let you know about any federal laws also, But thats probably not a worry if you dont go from state to state

5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

In my town the county has outlawed billboards, so lots of businesses are taking van bodied trucks and turning them into rolling billboard signs. And they park them in their parking lots and on the street.

6. justmjc

Does that mean that if they were pulling a trailer as well, they could advertise on the van and the trailor? You mean no more "big" high in the sky billboard advertising right? Not vehicles and trailers?

7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Just do whatever you want someone will let you know if its against the law.

And when they do, fight it, deny it, and cover them up in nuisance paperwork like Freedom of Information Act requests, etc.

Delay them with continuances, appeals, etc if court proceedings are involoved

I know this sounds a little insane buy believe it or not it works 8 times out of 10 for us and has been very cost effective.

That is our approach on everything from Zoning laws to BS county ordinances, etc. Usually if you ask DOT or some other governing body you will get a different answer every time.

Ken

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats correct. Have you ever been to Las Vegas. You should see their rolling bill boards. Neon Flashing lights and everything.

9. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I dont think CT has any restrictions except for the colors. Orange is the only issue, as they dont want DOT vehicles and POV'S getting mixed up or possible misused.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Justmjc,
    Yes, there are DOT laws that apply to lettering and signs on vehicles. However, for what you are talking, there are no restrictions that woould apply to you in this realm. The laws that are applied, require all commercial vehicles (that is us - like it or not, everyone) that are used to pull trailers, or haul for commercial purposes, are REQUIRED to have the company name, city and state, and phone number on the DOORS of the cab for any open bodied (pickup and/or stake/dump) vehicle. These letter are to be NO SMALLER than 3 inches in height, must be clearly readable, and can NOT be on the back of the truck like on the bed area. Now, this is not to say that you can't HAVE anything on your bed areas, because you can. But you cannot substitute what's on your bed area for what's required to be on the doors. I just went through this, this past season with the State Police Motor Carrier Division. I had to put signs on my doors.
    Now, those that CAN have just signs on the back, and not the doors, are enclosed trucks, such as cubes or van bodies like larger moving trucks. I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions or anything, contact your local State Police post, and they can put you in touch with the motor carrier officer. These guys aren't so bad....